Does this photo work overall?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by beyondanytherapy, Apr 11, 2007.

1. beyondanytherapy

beyondanytherapy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I took this picture a few years ago and I've always liked it, but something has just been bothering me since I took it. I haven't had anyone with any real photography knowledge to give me any feedback - until now. :)

I want to know honestly what people think. Is the composition ok? What about the contrast? Should there be more of the tracks in the shot? Basically, overall, does this picture work?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. harrisoncj

harrisoncj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't tell where the focus is... I think it might be somewhere on the right track, but the whole image is a little too soft for my tastes.

3. MostlyDigital

MostlyDigital TPF Noob!

I agree about the focus. Its very soft. But when I first glanced at this pic I thought "Thats cool"

What was your objective in shooting this picture? What did you have in mind? Where you just shooting, or what there purpose?

This looks like an abstract to me. Was that your aim?

Overall I feel composition is lacking more visual information for the viewer.

4. beyondanytherapy

beyondanytherapy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it was meant as more of an abstract. I'm drawn to texture, and the juxtaposition of the hard lines of the rails in the smooth, worn cobblestones really caught my eye.

I wish that the focus was sharper, but I was limited on how many frames I could take, so it was a "do or die" kind of situation.

What bugs me the most is that, even though it's abstract, it feels weird to have the rails just squished together in the top of the frame. It makes me feel closed in. I still like the overall feel, but the composition isn't totally what I was looking for.

5. Peniole

Peniole TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool shot, I agree something bugs me a bit too. Maybe if it was tilted or panned a little upward just to catch the horizon edge. But then again that might not have worked since I really don't know what was up there.

6. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The only things that really bug me would be the lack of subject matter, the focus being in neither the fore- nor background, the poor tonal range, and the use of the word "juxtaposition."

7. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

I like how the right track takes your eye through the image but the only bad thing is theres not really a subject. It happens alot with this type of shot.

8. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it!
    Despite what others say about the image or your choice of words.

9. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha you might have to keep looking. Most of the "C&C" on here is comprised of people's opinions or others that think they're funny by cutting up the efforts of others. Just keep that in mind when looking for any educational value. ;)