Does wb affect focus

Change the color temp of his/her monitor. ask why the focus didnt change.

Does getting proper white balance in camera affect your cameras ability to achieve focus? I have a friend claiming it does. I can't find any info on Google. What do you think?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
he's probably thinking about Contrast
Yeah that is what I was thinking too but I just don't think it could have a measurable effect.
The Nikon 70-300 VRii has very noticeable Contrast issues which affects the focusing system, which really makes for a poor sports lens in certain situations .. like when my team has low contrast jerseys compared to the other players and surroundings.
I had that lens once, it drove me batty. I got rid of it fast and haven't looked back.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too but I just don't think it could have a measurable effect.
It would be instructive to see an example of what your friend is looking at. Has he/she shown you an example?

I wonder if it has something to do with chromatic aberration. The fringe of CA might be misconstrued as some WB defect, but your friend could be taking it for OOF.

Aw.. who knows?

Does getting proper white balance in camera affect your cameras ability to achieve focus? I have a friend claiming it does. I can't find any info on Google. What do you think?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
he's probably thinking about Contrast
Scene contrast can definitely affect autofocus but white balance can never alter the scene contrast, only lighting can change that. As I said above white balance is always applied to the captured data a long long time after focusing has occurred so it can never have affect on focusing.

Yeah well I got kicked out of the group I mentor over this. It's all just too much. [emoji51][emoji51]

She claims wb affects light channels which affects contrast.

ask your friend what happens to the focus if you shoot in raw since none of those presets that affect jpeg's are used in camera.

as far as white balance affecting light channels (wtf?) and affecting contrast (again wtf?)
none of those settings, even if your shooting jpeg, would affect your cameras AF.
where contrast affects AF is the color contrast of the subject your are shooting...NOT your in camera WB/color settings.
those settings only affect the picture after it has been taken and processed by the camera.

Yeah well I got kicked out of the group I mentor over this. It's all just too much. [emoji51][emoji51]

She claims wb affects light channels which affects contrast.
She is sort of half right but mostly wrong in that white balance does affect the mix of the RGB channels in the final image and so it can affect the contrast of the final image but focusing takes place before any image data exists. The focusing module can be affected by scene contrast but not by the contrast of the final image and it is this final image contrast that white balance affects.

............ask your friend what happens to the focus if you shoot in raw since none of those presets that affect jpeg's are used in camera.............

If your camera is set to shoot raw, it will not focus at all. :allteeth:

btw, where and what group is this ... link ... can we all join ?

Maybe you can teach at the online photography institute.

using tapatalk.

btw, where and what group is this ... link ... can we all join ?
Ahh I wish I could add you all [emoji12][emoji12] its a private mentoring/critiquing group on fb. But since I left the group I'm out.
now watch everyone join every photography critique / criticism group on fb ...

I think you should have a plaque to hang on the wall for getting kicked out of a group over this:)

Most reactions

Back