Does your camera freeze up on you?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I was out there on Woodward Ave in Detroit for the Thanksgiving parade hoping to take some photos. The wind was insanely strong so it was really cold. I was clicking away and my shutter speed became slower and slower even though it's set at 1/1000 or 1/2000. So I figured out that it's not going to do me any good to continue.

So does yours freeze up?

How do I prevent this from happening?

The temperature of the batteries has a direct influence on the amount of power they give out. In very cold situations, either use a manual Nikon :) or warm the batteries in your hand/pocket.

If it's so cold that the shutter leaves are sticking then there isn't much you can do. Don't try heating your camera as this will probably cause condensation and moisture issues.

Rob

Yup, sounds like cold batteries to me.

Keep a few batteries (or sets of batteries) and keep the extras a warm pocket, close to your body. Switch them when you notice power loss.

As Rob said, we weary of condensation when you are warming up the camera.

Yeah, it was cold battery. It's fine now.

I use F501. it takes 4 AA batteries but it's pretty troublesome to change them especially on site at 16F ( 0F with wind chill ). The screw is really tiny.

So should I just leave the cover behind and use duct tape instead?

I just read a tip last week. Said for cold weather, tape or hold a portable hand warmer around the battery compartment. Do not use the foot warmers, they are too hot. You can get the hand warmers at Wal-Mart and most sporting goods stores. And they're cheap :mrgreen:

Or, if you are electrically inclined, you could make a remote battery contraption...which would allow you to keep the batteries in your pocket and run a cord to the camera.

They have this type of thing for big, power hungry strobe units.

I was out taking pics last week when it was 19 degrees with a 2 degree windchill and my 300d started to really slow down. I did swap to a warmer battery and that kinda helped, but not completely.

hehe I have nothing to offer... but this thread made me laugh. Here you are all complaining your batteries are freezing.... I'll probably be in here next week complaining my CMOS sensor melted. :-( I love Earth!

Most reactions

Back