Does your camera go everywhere with you?

Most of the time I have my compact digital in my purse, just in case. Although its the rare days I don't have it that I see the perfect shot.

Usually there's a camera in my bag/purse or a cell in my pocket.

I'd prefer the Ricoh 500GX, because it's the smallest I've, when I first bought my digital one, I took it almost everywhere, except when I am carrying my laptop. But now back to small and convenient RFs.

These days I've a B&W roll in a fed 2(my dad's, it's my inheritance and I use it rarely, also for the lack of options) lying in my purse.

You never know...

Once the 'newness' wears off, many just don't drag their DSLR around with them.
Of course much depends on lifestyle, location, and personal values.
I don't like the idea of gear in a hot car all day.

no, but whenever the wife and i are out, yes - we keep a little p&s in her purse just so i dont have to carry the xti everywhere.

The problem is sometimes having a camera would prevent me from being able to do certain things. Like the other day a few friends and I took a train trip to Santa Barbra Beach and there were so many things I wish I could have shot but I didn't want to risk leaving my cam on a beach and then sand and everything.
Im worried as hell about this. im going to hawaii in november with my girlfriend for a friends wedding (not shooting it, just being part of it) and im worried about bringing my camera around and ending up needing to leave it somewhere because we cant do something or another. I think what ill do ask my girlfriend if she wouldnt mind setting aside a day or two to take some shots. other than that, i dont think i will be taking mine outside of the hotel room at all.

No. Sometimes I bring along one that fits in an altoids tin, but that's it unless I'm doing something specific.

Yes. Mostly because I've found myself muttering 'if only I had my camera' a few too many times. That and I carry a backpack with me most places, so it sits in there.

other than that, i dont think i will be taking mine outside of the hotel room at all.

Whats the point of the camera if it doesn't leave the hotel room? HAWAII??? you crazy? You couldn't drag me out of that hotel room without a camera.

I've run into a lot of people in this situation... invest a lot of money into a cemera... then suddenly they are too scared to use it. YOu don't need your "best" camera to take wonderful pictures. Invest a tiny bit of money into a good point and shoot that you are willing to take with you... even a film camera works well.

My knock around camera is a G5 and/or a GIII canonette... its the camera I take with no worries. At times on trips, it wouldn't be uncommon to see me running back to the car to get my EOS system out when I see a shot I must absolutely focus on. The "good" stuff is locked in a padlocked hard case in my trunk and chained to the inside of the car.

My personal rule, once the stuff is taken out I will not pack it back into the car until I'm ready to leave the area by car. I make an assumption that someone saw me take out expensive equipment and I won't give them the opportunity to break into the trunk after I repack and leave the car unattended.

you know, now that i think about it, it would be easier than i thought. although instead of investing in a P&S camera, i could just invest in a really good backpack for it. i was planning on getting one earlier but i figured i would wait till i had more lenses. since i am also shopping for a new lens i guess it would be a good idea to grab a backpack too

currently, since i only have the kit lens, i just have a crappy case that holds my camera with lens attached and sd cards.

I see this a lot too, where people arn't using the camera they bought. My manager used a baby diaper bad for his camera bag and his car did get broken into one day on a trip. But he still had his $1,500 of camera gear! I always have some kinda camera in my backpack or car, usually my minolta S414, then the Alpha i'll take along if i know there are gonna be some great shots.

you know, now that i think about it, it would be easier than i thought.

Now there yah go.!!!! Thats more like it...

Btw... This is a personal thing for me... but I hate camera bags that look like camera bags. I especially don't like backpacks because they are too difficult to get to. its just a personal thing... but I do own a couple as sometimes they pack the best and most equipment.

My most used bag is a regular messenger bag I found on sale from some clothing store. I put extra foam on the bottom and have a couple Domke inserts. I do like the idea of using a diaper bag... in fact I have a couple laying around.

Other camera bags that I do use on occasion: Lowepro Stealth reporter 400 with two straps (lotso equipment easy access), Tamrac Expedition 5 (not used too much back pack), LowePro slingbag 200 (good compromise for light day trips).

have fun in Hawaii!!

hmm, maybe i can try and convert my laptop bookbag into a camera bag too. ill have to take a look at the inserts you were talking about. im just a bit worried that it wont provide enough padding while we are hiking up the side of a volcano :p

I've recently bought a secondhand Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 SE bag off Ebay, and that's great for lugging my camera and lenses about, it's also made it easier for it to go places with me like work or round town etc. just in case of any decent shots cropping up.

A good quality bag is essential if you plan on carrying your camera about a fair bit, makes it more comfortable to carry, gets in your way less and means it's more likely to come out with you.

And for those times I don't have my camera with my I've always got my trusty Sony Ericsson K800i with a surprisingly good 3mp camera! :D

"Ditto" to everything usayit wrote, as usual. And I mean all of it.

Most reactions

Back