Does your family support this??

My wife egged me on to give it a try, and is the reason I am where I am today. :)

There are always two sides to every story.

That said a relationship between any number of people has to rely upon respect and trust. If you lack that then the relationship is going to sour. Now sometimes you go through a rough patch, a period of time when things are not ideal and you get stressed out with each other. But it's temporary.
If it lasts into the long term then you've got issues. If your wife cannot respect your hobby and is indeed even slating you and being hostile then I would say there is a problem.

As others have said, even if their significant other doesn't share their enthusiasm or interest, they can at least be accepting and supportive.

Sometimes its the case that you have to sit down and talk about things honestly; to explain how comments that the other party might not feel are as insulting/harmful are. Sometimes you have to get a counsellor to help mediate between you.

You say your wife is an artist. Could it be that she doesn't consider photography to be art?

You say your wife is an artist. Could it be that she doesn't consider photography to be art?

That would hardly be rare in artists! I have to admit there's a fair bit of award winning 'art' that I don't consider to be art at all, even the most random snapshots get closer IMO.

My local camera club has displayed at the local show for over ten years, and due to rearrangements the education tent, we used to be based in, has shrunk moving us elsewhere. Last year the organisers put us into the art marque much to the concern of the artists exhibiting there. Fortunately having seen our work they've now accepted us, and we've been invited back!

I'm fortunate in that my wife is quite supporting of my hobby, Though she does get impaticent when she has to wait around for me to take shots on family day's out. I've very rarely heard comments about the money I've spent on it - but I get the impression she considers herself free to match my spend on her hobbies.

I can relate, I showed my wife a photo of a duck and she stabbed me with a fork.

I take pictures all day, then edit all night, post them all in the morning.

I have no other interaction with my wife.

I have no idea why she hates my hobby.

There are always two sides to every story.

That said a relationship between any number of people has to rely upon respect and trust. If you lack that then the relationship is going to sour. Now sometimes you go through a rough patch, a period of time when things are not ideal and you get stressed out with each other. But it's temporary.
If it lasts into the long term then you've got issues. If your wife cannot respect your hobby and is indeed even slating you and being hostile then I would say there is a problem.

As others have said, even if their significant other doesn't share their enthusiasm or interest, they can at least be accepting and supportive.

Sometimes its the case that you have to sit down and talk about things honestly; to explain how comments that the other party might not feel are as insulting/harmful are. Sometimes you have to get a counsellor to help mediate between you.
My wife to be has a horse and hunts so my motorbikes and cameras are very cheap compared to a horse on full livery a horse box and 4x4 to go with it

My thought is that your wife maybe insecure in her own artistic ability and perhaps feels threatened by yours. She may feel the need to be the only one in the family who is artistic as a way to feel popular and accepted. In my household, my husband earns and handles all the money, but when its affordable he's more than happy to get me something for my photography. Two years ago he surprised me with a better computer than I had for editing and he recently got me a new [used] lens since all I had left that worked, was a 50mm. Now he's saving to get me some photo software from Topaz that I want. He's always trying to scout out interesting locations we can go on his day off so I can take photos. Excuse my saying this, but your wife sounds like she has some serious control and insecurity issues and as someone else said, it sounds likely that there are other underlying issues in the marriage, otherwise she wouldn't openly bash your work on your facebook page etc. I mean, that's downright cruel for a spouse to do. Good luck.

Just a thought. Anything I produce or create as it relates to my photographic skills, is met with open and unrestrained hostility from my wife. I don't even show her my work anymore. In fact I have even restricted her on my facebook page because of her demoralizing comments.
I have learned over the years that ANYTHING I buy for my obsession, HAS to come from money I have generated from sales. I would NEVER ask her to buy me anything photography related for birthday or Christmas. And yet the woman is an artist and musician herself. Oils... acrylic.. water color...and plays the piano. Go figure!

Do your significant others support your profession, obsession, hobby... oram I just an oddball??

Ian
did a re-edit here as i wasn't directly replying to the quote. Does my significant other.....answer is "sort of " but she feels i spend way to much time on it and i don't make enough dollars back in return. In her defense, i do spend a obscene amount of time on photography. She is less concerned with painting it seems because we both paint. I think it is a matter of inclusion. She wants to feel included and the individual pursuit which involves a lot of time is actually a separation. Perhaps you could put down the camera a little more and do some painting with her. (i should probably be taking my own advice)

this is a very distinct possibility as well.

Do your significant others support your profession, obsession, hobby... oram I just an oddball??
Kick her into touch ASAP
Unfortunately, you don't need a photography forum, you need a marriage counselor. It's your marriage, not photography equipment.

Kick her into touch ASAP
Unfortunately, you don't need a photography forum, you need a marriage counselor. It's your marriage, not photography equipment.
most relationships in marriage counseling still end in divorce i believe. Nothing against marriage counselors. But inviting a third party into the debate usually seems to compound the problem providing more ammo "well the counselor said" and cop outs "well i went to counseling i tried". And then there is the question of how much a marriage counselor can benefit anyway as most they themselves have been divorced.. How about a nice weekend get away? Might do more good.

Most reactions

Back