Does your spouse support your photography passion?

Please talk to each other.

Talk to somebody else together if you have to.

Cameras and cars are small beans compared to a lasting, caring marriage.

Um! Well actually she's my ex-wife, but yeah she does. lol, It's a long story

My wife doesn't really support my photo habit and at times it can become a bit of a fight. She can't really complain too much though. I don't spend any "new" money on it. So far I've financed this hobby by selling off stuff from other hobbies. The coin collection took a big hit earlier this year. The guitar collection is the next target. Her ability to buy anything hasn't been impeded so I don't worry too much about it.

His passion is his car. Your passion is your photography.

Communication is key.
(And I don't mean the kind where you check his emails and wait until you're so blooming mad you could burst before talking to him or vice versa.)

I've been married for four years (big whoop, I know)... I didn't know my husband was into geeky things (ie: dnd, online gaming, etc.) until after we where married and he didn't know I was insane until after we were married. (ha, jk) so we've both had to make adjustments.

Well... I live with my girlfriend, so she sees first-hand just how *ahem* "interested" (read as "obsessed") in photography I am. She is actually really supportive of me... she gets excited for me when I sell a stock photo, she sits and looks at my favorite shots from a morning shoot, she encourages me to get prints made to hang in our house. Even if she isn't personally all that interested in the craft of photography, she takes an interest in what I enjoy because she knows its important to me... overall, I really couldn't ask for more.

There is one thing she can't stand: "Hey baby, I'm gonna park at this pull-off and get some shots of the mountains here" or "I really wanna get down to that river... you mind if I stop and go down there for 10 minutes." She isn't a patient waiter... AT ALL. And, hell, it's probably way too much to ask that she just sit around in the car while I jump around in a river gorge with my tripod.

So, as long as I fly solo whenever I go shooting, I get nothing but encouragement from her. Overall, I'm happy... since I'd really rather be alone when I shoot anyway, and the fact that she doesn't like to wait around prompts her to give me ample "me time" to go off by myself.

A win/win situation, really.

Hubby and I are both into photography.....=) He's the tech. geek, I'm the artsy geek....lol The only fighting that is going on is over the computer to edit pictures.

Hubby and I are both into photography.....=) He's the tech. geek, I'm the artsy geek....lol The only fighting that is going on is over the computer to edit pictures.
There's an easy solution for that. Two computers!

There's an easy solution for that. Two computers!

We do have more but his computer has the best monitor.....lol So we both like to do our work on there.:lol:

I've been married for four years (big whoop, I know)... I didn't know my husband was into geeky things (ie: dnd, online gaming, etc.) until after we where married and he didn't know I was insane until after we were married. (ha, jk) so we've both had to make adjustments.

:biglaugh: BAHAHAHAHA! BEST! RESPONSE! EVER! :lmao:
:hug::

:lmao: :sexywink:

I agree!

My fiance supports my photography addiction 100%... but if she didn't, I wouldn't go blasting my personal business to a forum full of people that I don't know. Keep it at home.

There is one thing she can't stand: "Hey baby, I'm gonna park at this pull-off and get some shots of the mountains here" or "I really wanna get down to that river... you mind if I stop and go down there for 10 minutes." She isn't a patient waiter... AT ALL. And, hell, it's probably way too much to ask that she just sit around in the car while I jump around in a river gorge with my tripod.

Back in the 90's it was my wife with the photography addiction. It wasn't bad enough that we could go out for 3 days on the road and come back with 10 rolls to develop. It wasn't bad enough that we could do a 7 day cruise and come back with 50 rolls.

Nooo... When we'd be driving (rental or otherwise) and she'd see a good shot, we would go back.

Every. Single. Time.

Whether it took 15 seconds or 15 minutes, we went back and got the shot. Most of them were worth it. She was/is my inspiration.

So now that I'm the one doing it she has a lot of support for me. She even took my 50D down to trade it in for the 7D for me.

A win/win situation, really.

It really is.

My wife fully supports my passion/interest in photography. Sometimes it doesn't feel that way because of fleeting attention when I tell her about some shots I took, or equipment I want to get, etc. But, I know that she keeps a very busy work schedule (RN) and after 9 years together, I know she wants me to pursue my passions.

I agree with everyone else here - while your husband sounds like a jerk, its often best to not put him in such a disparaging light. Critical opinions are made on less.

Hug it out. :hugs:

My wife is fully supportive, she's the one that bought me the camera. She's actually been bugging me to go into a side business together, which will come with time, just not right now. That's my only problem, too much support from the wifey lol.

Good thing though, she's fine with camera related purchases, getting a sb600 this week, and probably a portrait or wide angle lens for Xmas :p

My girlfriend is really supportive. That's actually why we met and started dating. She's going to school for Graphic Design/photography and I'm working as a graphic designer/photographer at a newspaper.

So she'd probably be more upset with me if I stopped taking photos. Best part is, we're both Canon shooters.

Most reactions

Back