DOF calculator

I have a DOF calculator on my Droid that I use often

I used to have a DOF and hyperfocal distance calculator on every lens/camera I owned. Now you have to get an app for your phone -- modern photography has regressed quite a bit.

Joe

Maybe I'm just slow, or just new or... something. :er:

But can someone tell me how to read this thing? Or how I'm supposed to apply it?

Maybe I'm just slow, or just new or... something. :er:

But can someone tell me how to read this thing? Or how I'm supposed to apply it?

The app. that I directed you to is fairly simple.

1. Select your camera, or one similar
2. Enter desired f stop (aperature size/f number)
3. Enter focal length ie. 35mm, 27mm, 200mm
4. Distance to subject. I choose feet and measure or estimate the distance to the focus point or subject
5. Calculate or diagram. Calculates near and far focus range and distance between near and far focus points. Or it displays a little diagram showing you this.

Like I said, maybe I'm slow, but I don't know how to apply this information. I understand what it's telling me, but it seem slike it would be more useful to do this and then position your subject at the focal point?

Like I said, maybe I'm slow, but I don't know how to apply this information. I understand what it's telling me, but it seem slike it would be more useful to do this and then position your subject at the focal point?

OK....I will take one more stab at this LOL. Maybe you do not understand what DOF is. DOF or DEPTH OF FIELD is a measurement, wheather calculated mathematically or subjective. DOF determines or shows the amount of sharply in focus areas either in front of or behind the subject.

Such as for portrait photography often it is desirable to have the background extremely blurry to the point of being unrecognizable. This draws the viewers eye to the subject instead of a distracting background. Likewise this could be used in macro photography where the DOF is very narrow. Only a small portion of the image maybe in focus such as a bee or bird.

DOF is used creatively to draw the viewers eye to a certain area of a photograph or to isolate the subject in a photography from distracting foreground/background. This is why a DOF calculator maybe useful to have handy while shooting.

Hope this helps you.

I will add that focal length, aperatur size and distance from the subject are the determining factors in DOF. A longer focal length with a high f number might produce the same DOF as a smaller focal length and smaller f number. Go out and see yourself, practice practice practice!!!!

It is a ratio game and is easy to understand and grasp with practice. Soon you will not even need a calculator!

DOF determines or shows the amount of sharply in focus areas either in front of or behind the subject.

I will add that focal length, aperatur size and distance from the subject are the determining factors in DOF.

There's really only one plane of sharp focus. DoF spans subjects (on each side of the plane that is in sharp focus) that appear to be in focus, but if the image is magnified more than allowed for in the DoF calculation they can appear out of focus - it's the whole 'acceptable circle of confusion' thing. That is one more important factor that determines DoF - not just aperture, focal length and subject distance.

Best,
Helen

I used to have a DOF and hyperfocal distance calculator on every lens/camera I owned. Now you have to get an app for your phone -- modern photography has regressed quite a bit.

Joe

Good one Joe! Looking at the DOF scales on lenses made in the 1950's and 1960's one can tell that the lens makers used to really put some care into designing the DOF scales...today a lot of lenses have...nothing!

Joe

Good one Joe! Looking at the DOF scales on lenses made in the 1950's and 1960's one can tell that the lens makers used to really put some care into designing the DOF scales...today a lot of lenses have...nothing!

And i wish they did. I'd much rather look at my lense than pull out my phone, type in information, wait, wait, wait and.....crash. restart phone and try again

Most reactions

Back