DOF critique

williambarry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wm-barry.com
I was assigned a dof assignment. The assignment was to shoot some with limited dof and some with a wide dof. I am shooting on 18-55mm kit lens (set to 55mm. This is not for compositional critique.

dofshiner_20100217_0006processed5-6.jpg

Shot at F/5.6

dofshiner_20100217_0017processedf36.jpg

Shot at F/36

We were given set parameters to work within. Would this get an A from you?

Last edited:
For ONLY DOF, I guess. But surely they are going to take into account subject matter, time involved, background, etc. right? If not thats a bogus assignment.

It is a Photography I course with many people who barely know how to turn their cameras on. The Professor is still teaching "technique" so students can operate their cameras. I am waiting for real "assignments".

But I'm sure if you use a better subject you could get brownie points with the professor if not extra credit. Why wait for "real assignments" when you can take an awesome picture for your technique assignment now?

I was going to say the same thing, Felix.

I'll add "Only those who dare to fail greatly, can ever achieve greatly."

Point taken. I couldn't think of any ideas that fit into his parameters. (He wanted the near object at 1 foot from the lens, the far object at 10 feet from the lens and something in the exact middle.) He also insists that come into class with everything still on memory card instead of already moved onto a flash drive and converted to dng.

Bitter... I have to say I'm sure you scare a lot of little Photography nooblets off. I think the cold constructive criticism is the best way to go, and do appreciate all that is offered.

:)

...and to think I am holding back.

Yeah, you fulfilled the requirements for the assignment.

Well, I'd give you an A, just based on beer brand selection.

I think you've demonstrated well the type of DOF possible with an APS-C camera and a typical kit lens, especially given the additional information from your professor,which you provided in a follow-up reply to your OP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back