Dog down...

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The last 48 hours were pretty hard on both of us. Our 15 (or 16) year old dachshund/chihuahua mix has stopped drinking and eating, laying down motionless and hardly breathing. We took her to the Vet, where they found an abnormally enlarged heart which also has a heavy murmur as well as two well infected kidneys. We decided last night to give her another chance before putting her down and hydrated her subcutaneously. She came back home w/us and for a while she was somewhat better and more alert. She drank little water overnight and even managed to get like a teaspoonful of wet dog food in her stomach. But today she felt worse, so we took her back to see what other options we have. Well, before taking her down tomorrow (if her condition does not improve overnight), we decided to give her yet another chance at a different treatment. She is at the Hospital right now being hydrated and treated with two medicines plus an antibiotic. Hopefully she'll bounce back from her lethargic state.

However, we're not making any plans of having her for too long if she comes back, it's obvious that she'll last very little time as it is. So, we might have to put her down tomorrow.

All you dog/pet people know how hard that is...

We're pretty down now.

You have my sympathies!
Its a terrible thing to lose a pet - especailly so if they start to suffer. I am glad to hear that you have not given up hope - keep at it and here is hoping that she makes a recovery!

I'm sorry, you have my sympathies as well. I always hate reading about stuff like this, it's a hard thing to deal with.

So sorry about your bad news....I know what it is like...we have had to do and make your same decisions and it is very hard. These pets become your children...so sad...I will keep you in my thoughts.

I know what you are going through We just had our dog put down three weeks ago. She had cancer it was very hard.
Troy

I'm so sorry for you. I wish your puppy (they are always our puppies) as little pain as possible :( :( :(

Some good news from the Vet this evening. She's been hydrated and medicated, also stimulated for food. She is in better shape, drinking and eating and getting a little stronger. We'll have to wait for tomorrow though... She will be on a maintenance level hydration IV all night.

Thanks y'all for the good words and the thoughts, keep your fingers crossed.

Some good news from the Vet this evening. She's been hydrated and medicated, also stimulated for food. She is in better shape, drinking and eating and getting a little stronger. We'll have to wait for tomorrow though... She will be on a maintenance level hydration IV all night.

Thanks y'all for the good words and the thoughts, keep your fingers crossed.
I'm so happy to read this hopeful news! If she's eating and drinking, that's a good sign and will help her keep her strength up. I'm sending good vibes your way that she continues to get better. ((:)D)))

UPDATE:

The Vet called me this morning to tell me she is doing actually a lot better. It was a close call though! She is eating a little, drinking a lot and, despite losing about 4 lbs, being herself, sniffing around, scooting all over (she lost the use of her back legs a while ago). So far so good!

She'll be on two medications for a while.

Thanks to y'all for the good vibes and thoughts, guess what? It helped! :D

She is a resilient little devil, after all!

So very glad to hear your pooch is doing better. I hope she will be home with you again soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back