Dog (sports) Photography: focus question

Sorry for the late responses. I've been away from my computer.

Jim Walczak, thank you for those excellent tips. I had indeed wondered if the autofucus was able to keep up. I've considered focusing on the ball and waiting for the dog to get there. I'm going to have to make a point of being further away next time.

Yes, it is easier with the dog running perpendicular to the lens, but the shot I'm hoping to capture is an explosion coming right at me.

Here's a shot I grabbed off my facebook (poor quality) but showing what I'm trying to get.

Facebook upload
by Desi on Photography Forum

You're using a d800 and a 70-200 lens ?
You should be able to AF with no issues.

One key is to not wait to press the shutter when you need the shot.
keep the button half pressed for the AFC (Continuous) to keep focusing (or BBF).
Thus when you need the shot you then press the rest of the way. This keeps the focusing at a minimal travel for the lens. It should work just fine with the proper DOF.

Here's another facebook (poor quality) shot of her running perpendicular to the lens. Same settings (I think). I'll get out and shoot some more this weekend.

by Desi on Photography Forum

You should also review where you focused.

This may be an option you have to turn on in the menus somewhere
but when you review the pic on the LCD, press the up and scroll through the various WB, Color charts, etc and one is the area of Focus.
This will help you to focus better by seeing what you are doing .. or what your camera is doing.

You should also review where you focused.

This may be an option you have to turn on in the menus somewhere
but when you review the pic on the LCD, press the up and scroll through the various WB, Color charts, etc and one is the area of Focus.
This will help you to focus better by seeing what you are doing .. or what your camera is doing.

I'm glad that I asked this question. All these replies have me thinking in new ways and learning lots of new things about my camera. I'm currently deep into the D800 manual now.

Most reactions

Back