Dol Photo: Any ideas how how it was taken?

You need to remove the photo and leave just a link to the photo. Posting photos on here that aren't your own is strictly against the rules of TPF.

As for the photo....it looks pretty simple and basic to me. Baby is sitting on the floor with window light coming from her left (camera right). Looks to be shot with a very large aperture as well so if you have something like a 50mm f1.8 then give that a shot wide open...then stop down a little until you get the look you want (use DOF preview if you have it).

As NateS says, please don't post photos that you don't own the copyright to. Threads merged into a single topic.

You need to remove the photo and leave just a link to the photo. Posting photos on here that aren't your own is strictly against the rules of TPF.

As for the photo....it looks pretty simple and basic to me. Baby is sitting on the floor with window light coming from her left (camera right). Looks to be shot with a very large aperture as well so if you have something like a 50mm f1.8 then give that a shot wide open...then stop down a little until you get the look you want (use DOF preview if you have it).

You don't think any strobes were used?

...ou don't think any strobes were used?

The side light is a very large soft light. It looks like window light but could be a very very large softbox with a stobe inside. There's not really any way to tell for certain from this image; there's not enough resolution in the catchlight in the eyes to see the shape and detail of the light source.

A close look at the catchlights leads me to believe that there are two light sources on the right, a very very large one directly to the right of the subject and another not quite so large somewhere around 45 to 60 degress to the right of the camera's line of sight.

There is also a large soft fill light source which is probably a very very large diffuse reflector, but could be another very very large softbox.

+1 to Dwig.

The easiest way to get a good idea of lighting is to look at the reflections (catchlights) in the eyes.

NateS is noticing the dress is OOF in the forground as is the background caused by a large lens aperture.

Most reactions

Back