Dominantly

It tells you right next to the picture :greenpbl:

It tells you right next to the picture :greenpbl:

Oh, well English isn't my first language.. I also don't know camera speak..
50mm f/1.4 shot straight down. <-- is that Greek:confused:

I am runny to my camera bag to see if I have this lens.. or, is it a setting?:blushing:

Last edited:
What's so hard to understand about that? He said the lens and apreture that he used, and then that he shot looking straight down on top of the flowers (as if that wasn't obvious by looking at the photo already anyway).

50mm 1.4 is a lens. 1.4 is for the maximum aperture, or how big the hole in the lens can get. My 50mm only opens to 1.8, it's a more affordable lens of the same focal length.

What he's saying is that he's using the lens wide open, or at maximum aperture, to give the most shallow depth of field (in this case).

What he means by saying 'straight down' is that he's standing above the flowers aiming the camera down at them.

It gives a cool effect as if the petals were floating in water, because that's how dramatically everything else is blurred.

Didn't mean to be a smart ass to you in my first post.

50mm 1.4 is a lens. 1.4 is for the maximum aperture, or how big the hole in the lens can get. My 50mm only opens to 1.8, it's a more affordable lens of the same focal length.

What he's saying is that he's using the lens wide open, or at maximum aperture, to give the most shallow depth of field (in this case).

What he means by saying 'straight down' is that he's standing above the flowers aiming the camera down at them.

It gives a cool effect as if the petals were floating in water, because that's how dramatically everything else is blurred.

Didn't mean to be a smart ass to you in my first post.

Are you SURE he didn't edit it at all? It looks like it may have been.. but what do I know.. Oh, Dom... Where are you?

and I didn't think you were being a smart a$$-- In fact, when you said it told me in the picture.. I had to go back and look. The guy above you.. total smug a$$

All they know is bokeh gives them the warm and fuzzies.

This talk of f-numbers is surely nonsense!

Are you SURE he didn't edit it at all? It looks like it may have been.. but what do I know.. Oh, Dom... Where are you?

and I didn't think you were being a smart a$$-- In fact, when you said it told me in the picture.. I had to go back and look. The guy above you.. total smug a$$

It looks to me like he played with saturation, contrast and sharpness. Hope that helps!!

The guy above you.. total smug a$$

Forgive me for stating the obvious.

You've been here how long and you still don't know what an aperture is?

I know this is going to sound strange.. But I do forget what the f stop is from time to time. A few weeks ago I was using my camera and forgot how to change it on my camera. I am VERY overwhelmed with this camera. With my last few C&C's it was said I wasn't focusing.. So I have been working on that.. Once I master that.. who knows.. f stop?

Want to send me your 7d until you get down aperture then :lol:

Kiddddding. Everyone needs to learn somewhere and you're doing it the right way. Master things bit by bit.

Danielle,

Thanks for the comments on the photo. As for how I did it, I just found a section of flowers that had some separation & variations in height. Then I just shot with the camera pointing straight down and the aperture set to f/1.4 (Shutter 1/500, ISO 200). This shallow depth of field (0.06 feet) caused the area under the flowers to just melt away.

I opened and edited the photo in Lightroom. I adjust the Tone Curve Regions, then I went in and edited the saturation and luminance of each of the colors, especially enhancing the purple and magenta. Then I used the adjustment brush and painted the most prominent flowers and adjusted the clarity and contrast.

That was about it, maybe 5 mins of editing.

Danielle,

I opened and edited the photo in Lightroom. I adjust the Tone Curve Regions, then I went in and edited the saturation and luminance of each of the colors, especially enhancing the purple and magenta. Then I used the adjustment brush and painted the most prominent flowers and adjusted the clarity and contrast.

That was about it, maybe 5 mins of editing.

:hail:

I knew that didn't come right out of the camera-- or I thought it didn't. Imagine how pissed off I would have been tomorrow when I got my camera and lens out and tried this myself..:confused::confused:

His editing was fairly basic, the shot straight out of the camera would have still showed the same effect.

Go and try it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back