I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And here we go again, just in time for the holidays! (and before someone calls "hoarders" on us)
up on the donation block today is an older 35mm film camera with two lenses and a case.
It is a GAF L-ES/2 SLR camera with two lenses. (The GAF L-ES is a rebranded Chinon Memotron II) A 55mm f/1.4 and a 28mm f/2.8
the lenses are a m42 screw mount, and I believe they will fit on a wide variety of other cameras. I also believe that you can get an adapter for the m42 mount for pretty much any new camera mount. (pretty cheaply too, check ebay. Canon EF and Nikon adapters were <$10)

I tested this camera with the battery from my Mamiya. battery is about $8 at radio shack. camera will NOT be coming with a battery! lenses are all in good shape and have a A/M switch on each lens for DOF preview (and it shows that the aperture rings work properly) Camera goes to 1/2000 shutter speed. also has auto and x-sync mode and x-sync/FP sync outlets. the camera needs a good cleaning but appears to be mechanically sound. (although i did NOT see the Meter working in the viewfinder, so that may not work at all) Our feelings will not be hurt if you already have a camera with a M42 screw mount and you really just want the lenses, and if that is the case, you can still be considered. Anyone who wants the lenses to adapt to another camera can also be considered. As usual, me and the wife will make the final call based on any number of random and possibly camera-unrelated factors. And, as usual, we would like to see this stuff go to a good home to someone that could otherwise not afford it. (obviously if someone had the money they would invest in AF lenses and not this old stuff) Also comes with one Telesar UV filter with plastic case and box.

If you are interested in this stuff, post on THIS THREAD. PM's or emails may or may not get considered.
And now for the fine print...

You all know how this works at this point. (I hope)
we are DONATING this stuff. It is FREE to a good/needy home, and is sent AS-IS with no guarantee or warranty, written or implied of ANY kind. we will pay shipping. continental U.S ONLY.

the criteria for getting the camera is as follows:

1: you live in the continental united states/Alaska if flat rate shipping goes there (im a stickler on this one, sorry)
2: you have been a member of the forum for more than 2 months. (and been a reasonably active member of the TPF community)
3: you have a desire to learn/deal with a film camera and the 35 film format.
(ALL rules are at me and my wife's discretion. we reserve the right to change the criteria or cancel the donation at ANY time for ANY dumb old reason)

-Jason & Wife

View attachment 27218View attachment 27219View attachment 27220View attachment 27221View attachment 27222

Last edited:
Hey, I don't qualify because I don't meet Criteria #3 (i'm mostly interested in the lenses) but I will pay for it if nobody is interested. Let me know so we can work something out :)

She would get a ton of mileage with me.

I'm building a dark room in my home to process it myself.

Hey, I don't qualify because I don't meet Criteria #3 (i'm mostly interested in the lenses) but I will pay for it if nobody is interested. Let me know so we can work something out :)

qualify? you didn't read through the entire post did you? Just skimmed it huh? (I KNEW my posts were getting too long)
I kinda figured there would be limited (if any) interest in that old camera. what is it you want to use the lenses on?

My Sony a700. I am always interested in old lenses, and having a 1.4 could be useful. I am also am interested in how old lenses render differently from modern ones, that's one thing I really like about old lenses is their variety. I really like old, odd ball lenses for this reason. They just seem to have more character and creative possibilities. It's also fun to think that these old lenses have possibilities in the digital era.

I'll admit I did skim the part about the camera, because I am not interested in it. So I missed the part you are referring to, but I didn't want to be all "me me me!" without first letting you know I'm not interested in 35mm. If your donation is motivated by introducing people to film photography, then I'm not the person it should go to. At least not as a donation.

Last edited:
My Sony a700. I am always interested in old lenses, and having a 1.4 could be useful. I am also am interested in how old lenses render differently from modern ones, that's one thing I really like about old lenses is their variety. I really like old, odd ball lenses for this reason. They just seem to have more character and creative possibilities. It's also fun to think that these old lenses have possibilities in the digital era.

I'll admit I did skim the part about the camera, because I am not interested in it. So I missed the part you are referring to, but I didn't want to be all "me me me!" without first letting you know I'm not interested in 35mm. If your donation is motivated by introducing people to film photography, then I'm not the person it should go to. At least not as a donation.

honestly, with our other film camera donations, giving someone a chance to get into film photography on the cheap was the primary goal. even with the 110 camera. Also, with the other cameras, I was more certain of their functionality, but with this one, it sat for a very long time before we rescued it from someones garage. It looks like the foam seals by the mirror are a bit crumbly, and whether that is "terminal" or not I have no idea, or whether a regular CLA will be all the body needs. in hindsight, I question even including the body in the donation at all, but i figured I don't know that it doesn't work so...might as well throw it in. to answer YOUR question....go back and read the ENTIRE post. The body WAS useful for checking the lenses to make sure the apertures worked fine. which they do. What we really want from all of our donations, is to see these things put back into service and actually used instead of rotting in a closet or garage. I suppose I could just sell them and have the same effect, plus money in my pocket....but this way feels better. the M42 to sony adapter is around $12 on ebay I think...not too bad really. I guess I will just have to wait and see what other interest there is for this set. We appreciate your honesty about not wanting the camera, it is a rare virtue nowadays.

I already have several adapters. I am well-versed in how to use these lenses on modern gear - which, is a different approach from your auto-everything modern lens. If someone were to use these lenses on a modern camera, film or digital alike, they should be aware that you must use manual exposure in stop down meter mode. Also, if there is no manual aperture button or switch on the lens, the aperture pin may need to be somehow permanently engaged otherwise it will always remain open, depending on the adapter.

As far the light seals, that's an easy and common fix. You can buy special light seal foam or improvise using a number of different materials, from felt to yarn depending on it's configuration. It's not a terminal problem at all, and plenty of people just use black gaffers tape or electrical tape to solve a leaky camera. However, to do it the "right way" may cost more in materials than the camera is worth.

Last edited:
Would be great but I would not know where to get film developed. The Drug Warehouse I used to use does not send in film any more, only sell's it. I sold my old Canon to get the digital T3i.

I already have several adapters. I am well-versed in how to use these lenses on modern gear - which, is a different approach from your auto-everything modern lens. If someone were to use these lenses on a modern camera, film or digital alike, they should be aware that you must use manual exposure in stop down meter mode. Also, if there is no manual aperture button or switch on the lens, the aperture pin may need to be somehow permanently engaged otherwise it will always remain open, depending on the adapter.

As far the light seals, that's an easy and common fix. You can buy special light seal foam or improvise using a number of different materials, from felt to yarn depending on it's configuration. It's not a terminal problem at all, and plenty of people just use black gaffers tape or electrical tape to solve a leaky camera. However, to do it the "right way" may cost more in materials than the camera is worth.

I didn't know about the aperture pin. I can see how that might be an issue if the adapter doesn't keep it in. I might have been tempted to get an adapter for the 55mm 1.4 except that we already have a Nikkor 50mm 1.4, so i figured there was no need. The 28mm f/2.8 in a manual focus lens is pretty cheap anyway, so if i really wanted an older 28mm, i wouldn't bother with one i needed an adapter for. I think you can get the 28mm on ebay for maybe $30-$40, and its hardly worth the hassle of selling on ebay for $30. not too sure on the 55mm, having a hard time finding one that isnt a mamiya/sekor lens, or a Zeiss.
I really don't have too much interest in adapting older lenses to fit my camera. in fact, I don't really have too much interest in manual focus lenses at all except on the mamiya medium format camera.
of course, if you are into older lenses, or have older film cameras, or just want either...you can just wait around here. I'll probably have what your looking for up for donation at some point or other.

The Walgreens and Walmart still process film in Northern Virginia, people might check with them. Walmart also sends film out to Fuji for processing.

I think it's great that the long-time collectors are putting these cameras up for new users to try out film. I will also be going through some boxes of stuff.

Converting old lenses to cameras- lot's of fun. This evening's mad experiment is to convert a Konica 50/1.7 SLR lens to Leica M-Mount, RF coupled. Using parts from an Industar-61...

RE: The aperture pin, I usually just set the lens onto it's side and depress the pin with the tip of a knife blade and apply a very small dab of superglue. The pin sticks within a few seconds, and then I turn the lens front-upward and allow the glue to cure, avoiding any risk of wet glue falling further into the lens. It's crude and permanent, but it does work.

Ha Jason, helping people get on SLR for cheap is a nice thing to do, but I'm sure most people will hit a brick wall when they realize the prices on films and the cost to develop or even print/scan them. For regular folks, this may be fine. For people who like to keep shooting and shooting, the cost adds up VERY quickly.

Most reactions

Back