Done with AVG

Also AVG comes in both a freeware and paid for editions - they actually tried to go full paid and got a rather substancial backlash and so reinstated their paid for services. Far as I know the virus scanning aspects of both are the same, but the paid for comes with more malware and other nice extras.

My thing with AVG (which I'd used for years) wasn't that it wasn't good, but that it tried to do too much. I just wanted a program that scanned for virii. I don't want an email scanner, or links scanner, or whatever else it needed to do that required it to run in the background.

I had to disable it to install a program once and oh-my-god the joy I had to go through just to temporarily disable the damn thing.

In short, I was looking for a virus scanner. That's it. Malwarebytes seems to be doing the trick, and I will check out CrabAV later on.

I run malwarebytes anti malware. It's all I use. It doesn't eat up resources, because it isn't an active scanner.
I've used malwarebytes to get rid of one nasty Trojan.
But I've used Avast! for years and it is awesome.

You click on a site that has malicious crap on it...Avast! boots you off.

I've used the free version and you never know it is there ...except that it updates at least 3 times a day.

ZoneAlarm is a good program also.

Ahh AVast! that was the name I was trying to think of - its another well recomended (freeware) virus scanner like AVG.
And Dimitri you must be using the paid AVG version right? cause mine is hardly giving me any grips at all - heck Zone Alarm does more when I install a new program and it wants to check out the internet (though the only thing that really annoys me is that Disk Defragmenter keeps poping up wanting to chat to the net - why I don't know and why Zone Alarm can't remember for this one program is beyond me - but meh it only tends to bother when the computer goes into screen saver mode)

get a mac

Man, this gets funnier and funnier everytime someone says it, and more original and more creative and etc etc.

they dont get viruses, they dont crash, they dont lock up, they dont slow down, they just work the way a computer should...at least mine does

Irony (kind of) the more you promote the virus free world of mac the more you move it toward the impending doom of being virus ridden ;) Have no illusions if Mac were as popular as Windows it would have just as many viruses ;)

Though I have to agree on stability - Macs to tend to be a little more stable and I suspect a lotof that comes from the fact that Mac make all the parts - whilst Windows is a horrible combination of hardware and software custom bits from all different sorts of companies.

All that said - Win 7 appears to be runningvery smooth for many

ClamWin. It's not an active scanner, just when you tell it to. It's also pretty much a consumer-targeted port of UNIX/BSD/Linux's ClamAV, which is an enterprise-grade virus scanner. Usually used on the main mail servers for large companies.

Free Antivirus for Windows - Open source GPL virus scanner

Oh, and since it's open source, it's free. I haven't used it because I have used 90% linux for several years now, but ClamAV is rock solid so this should be too.

I know of one, called OSX. Lol

I guess people just assume that there's nothing worth stealing on a Mac.

:lmao:
Since OSX is BSD-based (unix-clone), it takes a completely different design direction from Windows. It's not only much harder to successfully install malware onto a computer running OSX, most consumers still run Windows anyway. A virus is way more successful if it can target and infect more computers. Apple's status as a minority in the PC world has saved it some. I imagine if it gains a significant market share, people would start to target it.

+1 I'm a Clamwin user myself. My executables are just loaded in a flash stick so I can move around and scan anything and be portable.

Mac vs. PC aside, I think I'll address the OP.

Avira is an exceptionally good free AV scanner, and I used it for quite some time. The only problem is the daily nag screen, which can be disabled with some creative permissions editing in Vista or 7. I eventually let Avira go in favor of the free, and surprisingly great Microsoft Security Essentials. Also free, but with no license (free or otherwise), no nag screen, seamless integration with Windows and the firewall, and easy on resources. Highly recommended...so long as your Windows install is legal.

Irony (kind of) the more you promote the virus free world of mac the more you move it toward the impending doom of being virus ridden ;) Have no illusions if Mac were as popular as Windows it would have just as many viruses ;)

Though I have to agree on stability - Macs to tend to be a little more stable and I suspect a lotof that comes from the fact that Mac make all the parts - whilst Windows is a horrible combination of hardware and software custom bits from all different sorts of companies.
Macs and PCs are THE EXACT SAME. The quality of "PC" components has increased dramatically to the point where everything is top-notch quality. I'm sure a lot of people remember the days (10-15 years ago) when Compaqs were made of horrible quality components. Anyways, aside from RAM and CPUs, the quality of hardware weighs less in system stability than good drivers. The stability of MacOS X comes from the fact that it's a UNIX-based operating system. It's based on FreeBSD, one of the most stable operating systems in existence. Apple is mostly into marketing, not creation ... they source out specific pieces of hardware, have drivers written for OSX, then lock out any other hardware components from being used. Does anybody actually think they manufacture CD drives, motherboards, CPUs, RAM, hard drives, graphics cards, networking components, etc? Hell no. They couldn't be bothered and they leave it to the experts: "PC" hardware manufacturers.

If anyone thinks anything otherwise, they're a victim of Apple's extremely good marketing.

Most reactions

Back