Don't know how you'll do it

Eel Noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can't seem to get the results I want. Hope I'll get some pointers and be more prepare for my next attempt.

Decided to give macro another attempt today. Didn't turn out so well as you'll see from the pix:lmao:.

C/C welcome

This guy/gal would not stay still and don't know how you'll do it but can't see how get the whole bug in focus.

Ladybug8-21-091.jpg

used same settings as others but this one came out very grainy:thumbdown:
Ladybug8-21-092.jpg

almost remind me of a basketball:D
Ladybug8-21-093.jpg

Here's an unknown bug/cocoon? I didn't even noticed those little green bugs next to it till I look at pix on monitor.

Bug8-21-091.jpg

Bug8-21-09.jpg

Last edited:
GAH!

Twice in one night!

Bug pics!

What settings were you using? If your complaining about not having enough of the bug in focus, maybe use a smaller aperture like f/8 instead of f/2.8

Just a suggestion...

GAH!

Twice in one night!

Bug pics!

hehe sorry

What settings were you using? If your complaining about not having enough of the bug in focus, maybe use a smaller aperture like f/8 instead of f/2.8

Just a suggestion...

IS100
F16

What are some tricks to getting better pix or getting the bugs to stay still long enough?

I'm not much of a macro guy. Don't know what you shoot but for Canon there's the AI focus mode ideal for erratically moving subjects.

Actually take a look at this thread by doenoe here who inspired me to
keep an eye out on a future macro lens. He gives advice throughout the thread. Nothing like getting word from the horse's mouth. :D

Thanks for the C/C and link everyone. Hoping to be able to take pix half as nice as the ones in link one day:drool:.

Actually take a look at this thread by doenoe here who inspired me to
keep an eye out on a future macro lens. He gives advice throughout the thread. Nothing like getting word from the horse's mouth. :D
Did you just call me a horse? ;)

And ladybugs are a pain to shoot, they move quite fast. So its better to find one thats resting. Downside to that is that if they rest, they tug in their legs. So i suggest try to shoot some docile bugs first, like spiders in a web or some stuff like that.
And you dont have to get the whole bug in focus, as long as the eyes are. Thats the most important thing, just like shooting people or other animals (except if your are going for something a bit different offcourse).
And those last 2 are the same as the first three, except in a different stage of live. Those are the cocoons of a ladybug.
Hope this helps a bit :)

GAH!

Twice in one night!

Bug pics!

hehe sorry

Just a suggestion...

IS100
F16

What are some tricks to getting better pix or getting the bugs to stay still long enough?

Step on'em.... You'll make Manaheim happy, you'll keep them still for your shot, and you'll solve your focus problem !!

The first shot turned out well, well done.

The most interesting is the last 2 shots. Are those ladybugs transitioning into something? Or they aren't even ladybugs at all? And those little green bugs are quite fascinating!

those are something transitioning into ladybugs. Ladybugs first look like THIS then transform into the shape you can see in the last 2 pictures and after then they go into Ladybug mode.
I think the little green things are Aphids

Are they hard reflections from your flash on the first few shots? If they are would you be better off using a diffuser?

...I'm just trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about lol

Doenoe gave some great advice so here is my little addition.

1) If your using flash a diffuser is a must addon - both Doenoe and I use lumiquest softboxes on our flashes to get diffused lighting - the larger the diffusion area you can get the better.

2) Sleepy bugs are far easier to shoot than awake ones, but they are not about all day. Get up early and hunt around dawn - you canoften find many insects which are very suggish at this part of the day - cooled and slow from the cold night and not yet warmed up from the sun - later in teh day most insects (even moths) are quite awake and have energy to move around

3) The eyes in focus - seriously go and look at some wildlife and macro shots - you will be surprised how many don't actually have that great a depth of field to them -but the key part is that the eyes are sharp - they are what we look to first in a shot.

Overall I like the exposures and your focus seems quite good - I would possibly drop down from f16 to f13 as a standard aperture to use (since around f16 and beyond diffraction can start to be a problem which will lead to you getting softer images).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back