DONT laugh please

JNK8665

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am super newbie to photography. I am confused on some terminologies...
FOr canon 30D, they sell it body only, or with "Basic lense" or Kit with EF 15-85mm, etc.
So, is the "basic lense" the "Kit"?
Or is ER 15-85mm the "kit"
Sorry, as i warned u, i am super new...
---
I am asking this because of cost issues as well as i read on some posts that kit lenses are not worth the money in the long run...
Thanks,
Johnny

The reason some folks say Kit Lenses arent worth the money, is because they are pretty familiar with how quality lenses should behave - but more than a few kit lenses have gotten pretty good reviews, and I would look around before deciding to go body-only on a camera purchase.

The basic lens is usually 18-55; the "better" kit is the 18-85 (18-135 on a Nikon - hint/hint). They are both kit lenses.

HI, I was thinking that both 55 and 86mm are "kit" lense. But when i was talking to the camera shop on the phone, they quoted me 3 different prices: one for 30d with "basic" lense, and one for 30d with 55mm and one with 85mm. SO i got real confused...
So if both 55 and 85mm are "kit" lense, what is the "basic" lense in this case???

I bought the 30D and have been running it for a little less than a year. I bought a kit that included the 18-55 lens and have been really happy with it. I recently bought a 50mm lens and love that for my portrait work. I highly reccomend this camera and the 18-55 kit. Best of luck!

The kit lens is also easy to sell if you decide to upgrade.

You can always ask whatever level questions you want here! So don't apologize, how else would you learn? Anyway, the 30D is a great camera. Everyone here is right that the basic lens in the kit package is an 18mm-55mm. Meaning the camera's range is wide as 18mm (plus the 1.6 multiplier but don't worry about that for now) and as "telephoto" as 55mm. If you want more room in between, get the 18-85mm.(though I am not sure canon makes one) You can always buy the body and then by a great starter lens like the canon 28-135mm. Good luck.

HI, I was thinking that both 55 and 86mm are "kit" lense. But when i was talking to the camera shop on the phone, they quoted me 3 different prices: one for 30d with "basic" lense, and one for 30d with 55mm and one with 85mm. SO i got real confused...
So if both 55 and 85mm are "kit" lense, what is the "basic" lense in this case???

I can only speak to the NIKON. I dont know how Canon packages their products. The D80 comes in three different flavors: w/o a lens, w/ a 18-55, and a 18-135. Both should be considered kit lenses. Just go with what package works for you. I personally got mine w/o a lens, and bought a 100 dollar lens for the time being. However if this is your first camera, by all means check out the one w/ the 18-55 kit lens to get comfortable with the camera and to figure out what if any new lenses you'll need.

Just for info the two kit lenses are the

EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6
and
EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS

I found for my use both of these lenses were topo slow (didn't give high enough shutter speeds) look for lenses with larger f2.8 apertures.

Something like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a far more useful lens or even the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. More expensive but better lenses.

If you can't afford them the 17-85 is an ok choice and the Image Stabalisation does help a lot in lower light.

Most reactions

Back