Don't want them to squirm

It's nice to try and find something nice to say about any photographs that anyone shows you.

It certainly isn't hard to be very complimentary about those on the site above.

You quite obviously have a natural talent and I'd hazard a guess that you will be very sucessful when you feel ready to embark on your career, provided you or your agent handles the commercial aspect properly.

My only suggestion would be to check out as many people as possible to see how they feel about the amount of light in the shots (can't think of a better way of putting it). Personally I like the shots with dark areas and deep shadows but some might not. Particularly find out if the 'client' is likely to go for something 'arty' like that or something more mainstream.

The very best of luck, although I don't really think you'll need it.

Edited to add: If you didn't actually want the deep shadows in places I agree with what 'The OtherBob' said. A flash would help.
I agree with the darkness and now I do see the shadows. I created the darkness on some and it is nice on my monitor, I am learning that monitors do not display the same.

and I am not ready to go out and get paid even though I have done practice shoots because I want to go out equipped with the best knowledge and take amazing shots that are worth the money that the clients paid for them-this time next year, hopefully thats where I will be :)

But the question is, when are you ever ready to sell your work?;) Whether your professional or not, if people like your work, they like it and will pay for it. To assume you can't charge money because your not professional is thinking inside the box. I don't think its right to restrict talent an innovation based on some title. Its like American Idol, kids come out of there topping national charts in a short time over people who have been in the music industry for decades. I say if some "amateur" comes by and pwns a professional's work then so be it nothings going to change that:)

You can calibrate a monitor using adobe photoshop-in control panel on your computer or you can buy a calibrations software like spyder-my monitors are not calibrated either :(

oh and you can do multiple quptes in one message reply by hitting the button with the " on it next to the quote button :)

My first pics with the 30d were not that good either, I started shooting av but actually I much prefer manual, just because full control suits me best

But the question is, when are you ever ready to sell your work?;) Whether your professional or not, if people like your work, they like it and will pay for it. To assume you can't charge money because your not professional is thinking inside the box. I don't think its right to restrict talent an innovation based on some title. Its like American Idol, kids come out of there topping national charts in a short time over people who have been in the music industry for decades. I say if some "amateur" comes by and pwns a professional's work then so be it nothings going to change that:)

There's a difference between selling work you've done to those who like it and accepting paid commisions to undertake work.

If you want to charge money for your time as opposed to pure payment by results you need to be certain that tou can come up with the goods.

And even with payment by results, if you are not 100% confident, you should make the client aware that there is a chance they may not like what you produce so that they do not miss out on a record of a once in a lifetime event.

I apologize if I jumped the gun - I just saw the words "photo shoot" and "camera on automatic" and I was just thinking - Oh, No!

There have been so many people come on here, and they're like "I just got my DSLR 3 months ago and I have my first wedding to shoot next week - what are some good settings for a wedding?"

Or something like that, which I thought it was going to be another one of...

Anyway, you have some great shots. I think you'll be amazed once you take it off auto - I think you should just do it - switch to M, it will help you learn the manual settings faster.

I apologize if I jumped the gun - I just saw the words "photo shoot" and "camera on automatic" and I was just thinking - Oh, No!

There have been so many people come on here, and they're like "I just got my DSLR 3 months ago and I have my first wedding to shoot next week - what are some good settings for a wedding?"

Or something like that, which I thought it was going to be another one of...

Anyway, you have some great shots. I think you'll be amazed once you take it off auto - I think you should just do it - switch to M, it will help you learn the manual settings faster.
No problem, after reading the limited amount of information I gave, I can see how someone could flip it. I also posted in the wrong thread :) I look forward to bringing the pictures back to this forum and having them checked out...I know you guys will be honest!!

So, mine, Compus and TheOtherBob's comments are chopped liver with fried onions? :er:

Still, your images are nice. :)

:lmao:
Alright now...I can see I have to look out for you!:) I must say I was a little surprised at the positive remarks. I didn't think to respond. I am very energized at the encouragement. The good and the...ummm constructive comments will be taken to heart as I take this on. I look forward to sharing more with you all! and the pic...was just gross!;-)

kingskid11799 said:

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

No, no, no...you should not be apologizing for anything here. You asked a perfectly legitimate question and got hammered by a few conclusion-jumping, emotionally damaged little boys.

I'm relatively new here, but I'm seeing this more and more. Happened to me, in fact. I guess we've all met folks who are bent in such a way that tearing others down somehow feeds and fuels some pathologic element within that provides them some twisted sense of worth. I suspect it might have something to do with being bullied as a child; don't know what else might cause this phenomenon.

Anyway, kingskid, I really like a lot of your photos and it is clear that you have a photographer's eye. Maybe even two. :) When posting here, demonstrate the ability to overlook the garbage floating by. There are plenty of considerate, knowledgeable and generous people who aren't threatened by a motivated, inquisitive beginner.

Best of luck,

Jon

kingskid11799 said:
You asked a perfectly legitimate question and got hammered by a few conclusion-jumping, emotionally damaged little boys.

hmm...I'm just going to assume you weren't referring to me.

hmm...I'm just going to assume you weren't referring to me.

And you would be correct. Actually, in review, seems there was but one doing the hammering. I apologize for not being clearer.

Anyway, you've got my man Hedberg in your sig. :D

Jon

And you would be correct. Actually, in review, seems there was but one doing the hammering. I apologize for not being clearer.

Anyway, you've got my man Hedberg in your sig. :D

Jon

haha, no problem - tone is so hard to convey over the net - one of the big problems I think of trying to have a conversation online.

And yea, RIP Hedberg. He had soooo many years of making people laugh ahead of him...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back