dose canon make a 1.4x converter or 2.0x converter for the lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by pulser9, Nov 27, 2007.

1. pulser9

pulser9 TPF Noob!

So i have a rebel xti and to would like to be able to take shots from a little more distance. I have now a 75-300 lens. So for now until i can aford a few more lenses is there a 2.0x converter for the canon? I had one for my film camera but i cant seem to find one for the dslr.

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Kevin

2. transaxion

transaxion TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they make both.

4. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My reading is slightly different than this. At a practical level the extender will physically fit and will work at an optical level. What you won't get though is the autofocus capabilities - if you're happy to work with manual focus only, it may still be an option for you. You would need to be aware though that your 75-300mm f4/f5.6 will become an f8/f11 lens at best (assuming your using a 2x convertor). That's likely to be a very dark viewfinder for manually focusing with.

Your best option may be to find a shop that holds one in stock and go and try it out with the body/lens you are thinking of using it with.

5. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon extenders are white/grey in colour, the reason for this is that they should only be used with white/grey lenses. The converter extends inside of the lens, putting them on a black lens can result in damage to lens.

There are about 3 black lenses that you can use them on but they are L series lenses that have a recessed rear element.

6. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I stand corrected - couldn't see that info on the Canon site.

7. pulser9

pulser9 TPF Noob!

danm. I guess I will just wait until i can get some new lenses. Even if i could use it with the lense i dont think it would do any good with the f stop change

8. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, unfortunately the TC are only for the premium line of telephoto lenses. That was one reason I shied away from the 70-300 and picked up the 70-200 f/4 L. Shorten range, but better IQ and can get the 1.4X TC later. The sacrifice in f/stop from teh 1.4X TC is not that detrimental;if any, compared to the 2x TC. At those ranges your pretty much using a monopod or tripod anyway and you lose AF if the lens is smaller than f/5.6 to begin with.