Dove release at weddings

lulu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
I am shooting a wedding next week and the couple plan on releasing doves, this is a first for me. This should take place around 4 pm. Can someone please give me tips or suggestion on how to get the best shot and still freeze the motion on the birds?
Thanks

If there is enough light, then I'd think that you would be better off without flash. That way you can use as fast of a shutter speed as you can.

If you do need to use flash (or just want to), you will be limited to the max sync speed of your camera, which may still be fast enough to freeze the movement (and the flash will help). However, you need to consider the flash recharge rate. You will probably want to take a series of shots as fast as you can...and you don't want the flash holding you up.

Personally I would drag the shutter some. I have shot one of these before and I dragged the shutter slightly and got a much more dramatic image of this. This kind of thing is about drama and action I (personally) do not think a statc shot of frozen doves in flight would portray this properly.

I've never shot that...so I don't know. The advice from those that have shot it...sounds good. The trouble is that it's a pretty fast, one time event...and you can't really shoot it both ways. It would be nice to have two photographers and shoot it different ways and choose the best shots later.

I've never shot that...so I don't know. The advice from those that have shot it...sounds good. The trouble is that it's a pretty fast, one time event...and you can't really shoot it both ways. It would be nice to have two photographers and shoot it different ways and choose the best shots later.
You know I was thinking that and was going to suggest that as part of my post btu I decided not to. I guess I tought the op was shooting alone and giving my prefrence I would shoot with slow shutter.

Thanks Guys, I am going to try the Park idea and see what I get.
I just don't want to miss the shot since this is a big deal for them.

Most reactions

Back