Down size to M4/3

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by John Hunt, Mar 6, 2017.

1. goooner

goooner Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For hardly any gain in size/weight, I will always opt for the bigger sensor. Just my opinion though. On the other hand, you get a 200-800mm lens on the Oly, compared to a 150-600 on the Fuji.

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I agree with JC ... take a look at Fuji. I evolved from Canon (1D's) to MFT (EM5's and EM1) to APS-C (XP2 and XT2). Even before I released a shutter on a Fuji camera I loved the controls. All the basic controls, shutter, aperture, ISO are manual, on top with an aperture ring on the lens. For me, the menu system on the Oly was extremely daunting. There were a ton of menus and a ton of settings and submenus. The first few times out, I literally wanted to toss the camera into a trash bin ... but that would have been too good for the camera ... I wanted to smashed it ... repeatedly. I was very frustrated. I just wanted to shoot. I wanted the EM5 to handle and perform similarly as my Canon 1DSMKII. It took a while to get higher on the learning curve with all the menus and customizations required to input/modify in order to make the camera respond/act like my dSLR. That is not a reason to avoid the Oly, just an observation.

The Fuji camera body is slightly larger than the my EM1. But it is a significantly larger sensor requiring significantly larger lenses. The larger sensor delivers superior low light level performance, better dynamic range and less noise. Fuji uses a proprietary sensor system, (not a Bayer sensor system), which delivers an image, which to my eye, is more film-esque than the MFT sensor which looks more digital. Oly/Zuiko makes fine lenses. But with Fuji/Fujinon lenses I appreciate the tank-like build and some of the best quality/sharpest lenses I've have ever used.

The one thing I do miss from Oly is the In Body Image Stabilization. Oly's IBIS is absolutely wonderful. Fuji's stabilization is lenses based and in my experience, nothing beats IBIS.

Older XT1 images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Emanuel M

Emanuel M No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I evolved from a Nikon D7200 to a E-M5, then to a Panasonic GX8 and then to the Panasonic G85 (right now I have the E-M5 and the G85).
    I was like the OP (I don't have problems with my hands, but I didn't want to carry so much weight).

The E-M5 is easy to operate, and I dont need to go on the menus everytime (since I've already customized every single button).
    The Panasonic are superior on the ergonomics, dial placement and controls (the menus are much better also but, like on the Olympus, I don't go there often).

The beautiful thing on MFT is the lens ecosystem.
    Wonderful wonderful lenses, small lightweight and extremely good glass.

I have a ultra wide angle with this size
    [​IMG]

A 12-35mm 2.8 with 300 grams (0.7 pounds) - excellent travel companion
    [​IMG]

A 20mm f/1.7 to use on my street combo (this is my all around lens)
    [​IMG]

A Panasonic Leica 42.5mm 1.2 (I think is the best lens I've ever used - and I've used a lot).
    [​IMG]

The also excellent Olympus 75mm 1.8
    [​IMG]

Every single one of these lenses are top quality (especially the 42.5mm 1.2 and the Olympus 75mm 1.8).
    I can carry a body with two or three lenses, and I will carry less weight than I used to carry with my D7200 + Sigma 18-35mm 1.8.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  4. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the fact the Oly is highly customizable. And once I have set my Custom settings I very rarely go into the menu.

You also have to looks at all the features that comes with the EM1 Mark II to see if its right for you.

It has the most powerful processor, double quad-core and gobs of memory. This will allow more features and better improvements in future firmware.

18fps C-AF
    60fps S-AF
    About 8 bracketing modes that include focus bracketing, which I have used and is great.

The one feature I absolutely love, especially for wildlife, is Pro Capture. While holding shutter half-way the camera already starts continuously buffering up to 14fps. Once you press the shutter the 14 frames in the buffer get saved to SD. This prevents you missing that moment because of shutter lag. I can focus on a small bird and by the time it launches and I hit the shutter I would normally miss that moment of launch because of reaction time but not with Pro Capture.

Here is a shot I took with Pro Capture. It was a heavily overcast day and it shot at 4000 ISO so it is grainy. I stacked the images.

[​IMG]Sparrow take off by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

I would never have got that shot if I relied on my reaction time.

5. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love the fuji system,I have the X-T10 similar to the X-T1. If you need the buffer and the best tracking system then the X-T2 would be at the top of the fuji list. Here is a couple shots I I took with my X-T10 with a kit lens 50-230mm and other then cropping these are SOOC Jpegs In Film simulation mode PROVIA/STANDARD Picture control. DSCF2661.jpg DSCF2664.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice.

Since none of my pics earlier were SOOC, and quite possible made them worse with my editing, here is a SOOC image I took today at work. And no crop on this one.

[​IMG]Grey Squirrel by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  7. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice squirrel shot. One of my biggest mess ups was with global sharpening,I use to crank the sharpening so much it looked like sandpaper when I was done. Water would be crinkled to death LOL. The fuji and Olympus has some of the very best jpeg engines in there cameras and thats all I use on the fuji, its that good.

8. John Hunt

John Hunt No longer a newbie, moving up!

Looks like at some point I will have to make a road trip to some where that stocks these cameras so I can handle them. Everybody has thrown out some great information thank you very much. I am still leaning towards the Olympus for more reach with less weight. The whole bigger sensor means better performance argument is how I ended up carrying 9 pounds of camera and lens around in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Having both FF cameras and MFT cameras, I found APS-C, (in particular the mirrorless Fuji system), to be a great compromise between the IQ of FF and the small footprint of MFT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with most comments. Everything is a compromise, whether it's a Huge heavy 10lb camera with High IQ and excellent low-light shooting, or if it's an iPhone, convenient almost 100% of the time but not the greatest in low-light.

I can say that I've really enjoyed the M4/3 system. I enjoy the EM5ii and it's size. I am not a professional, but yet I still enjoy carrying it around and it yields great results.

11. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Taken with Olympus EM5ii

IMG_5805.JPG IMG_5804.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

more reach with less weight is a worthy objective. mirrorless cameras are popular - you can use small "pancake" style lens for lightweight travel and you can also use the big DSLR lens for the eagle shots ......... nice
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless