Downstairs - Prague

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by look, Feb 9, 2005.

1. look

look TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Any ideas, comments,a nd advices are welcome :)

[​IMG]

2. Picksure

Picksure TPF Noob!

Not an expert, I dont critique most pics.

From what I have seen and read on this great forum, I would say move or zoom past the first street lamp on the right in your shot, its a bit too bright and takes away too much of the rest of the photo. Also I think that lamps brightness messes up the exposure in the rest of the photo. Other than that I really like it.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, so far I've seen many a photo of this very staircase in Prague by day (and may even have taken one myself 28 years ago, would need to look through the slides I took at the time - my I was only 17 then!), but never so far at night!
    Therefore I appreciate this variety very much!
    Do you have any more Prague pics?
    I love that place, but have been there last more than a quarter century ago :(...

4. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I agree that getting past that first light would help a lot. It's bright and big, which makes it distracting in such a dark shot.

5. look

look TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you :)

Yes, I have more pics on paper but plenty of them are mere snapshots 2 years ago and I would need to take some place to scan from a negative film. Oh, yes, I have another one scanned but there is no city in it. Sorry :(

6. look

look TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW, interestingly enough, I like the big lamp in the picture and now I would turn a little to include a little more space on the right. To me, it adds to perspective as there are more lamp posts downstairs.

7. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

For me, I think the lights are too bright while the rest of the picture is too dark. The lamps being that much brighter make me stare at them while making most of the rest of the picture hard to distinguish. It's like when a car comes towards you at night so the rest of the street is harder to see. If you're planning on visiting Prague again, I'd try to take the same type of picture when it was still twilight out or when there was a full moon for some better lighting. You may even be able to adjust the levels enough in PS. All this being said, it's still a good picture and is wonderfully composed. I do really like your use of the top lamp to give a sense of distance when compared to the bottom ones. Good work!! Keep 'em coming.

8. look

look TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for advice :) I'll see what happens when I brighten the shadows - there is a person on the bottom left corner who, if seen, distracts my attention> I think I will try to keep him in a shadow / clone it :)

9. Adrian Kwidzyński

Adrian Kwidzyński TPF Noob!

The lamp on the right side is too bright... Remove it (the lamp) at all. lnteresting ambiency / climate. Prague is beautiful place.

10. PHCM

PHCM TPF Noob!

the lamp on the right is too bright, and does distract from the main focus

11. look

look TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all :)

12. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    hey! I remember this place! I've been there! hmm the shot is quite dark for me, but very moody.. I don't know if I like it or not yet... maybe later :)