Downtown at Dawn

Raindog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've grown to enjoy waking early enough to walk around town...

DSC_1334copy.jpg

DSC_1332copy.jpg

DSC_1338copy.jpg

DSC_1328copy.jpg

I like the last one - the only problem I'd have with it is the power lines in the picture but that's just a personal preference...

Third one is interesting but the light in the window is somewhat distracting.

The first one has loads of potential - I love old abandoned buildings - it's a bit dark for my liking but I think there is possibilities with that building.

These are very neat... I want to say they're a little *too* dark, but then I don't want to say that either. :lol: IM CONFLICTED!

I should start doing that....but it's so scary walking by myself ....
amazing pictures btw!

Thanks guys,

The curves are pretty strong on these and they were shot at higher ISO so there certainly should be more grain, I can't see it but I'm not opposed to it. The problem that I've been having with my b&w's is that even at 6400 I have to introduce noise in pp to get the feel that I want.

Early dawn is the best time that I have found for walking the streets, the light is perfect and the gangbangers are still sound asleep.

All of my images these days are dark, some folks with better pp skills than I are able to make the most of these situations and convey a sense of decay but this is the best I can do for now, I'm working on it though :)

The power lines in #4 almost turned me off from taking the shot in the first place (I cloned out a lot if that helps) but the view was powerful and I liked the slant so I did the best I could with it.

I'm actually quite fond of the lamp in #3, it kills the flow but it does something for me.

Thank you all for your perspectives,
Mike

I will agree that the lamp adds something and I like it even better than the reflection of the palm tree in the window. I like it because of the blue reflection in the mirrored window. It also adds a sense of depth and maybe a hint of vouyerism that adds interest. This is what makes #3 my favorite of these shots.

I wanted to know if you were intentionally getting the noise since I could help adivise you if you didn't. I think it works with the image regardless. Keep it up.

Actually the palm was inside behind the fixture but either way. That one was shot at ISO1400 and pushed quite a bit. I don't do NR, the D3 lays waste to much of the fine noise that I got with the D200 at higher ISO but it more than makes up for it with the added latitude I get in the files.

Cheers,
Mike

Most reactions

Back