Downtown Houston

spiralout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A few of my favorite downtown shots. I was lucky that I shot these before anyone stopped me; I was told that I couldn't shoot three different building by three different security guards. Where's that crazy purple knockout gas when ya need it? :wink:

BuildingandmoonatdawnSmall.jpg

BuildingandmoonSmall.jpg

Buildingandcrane.jpg

ReflectionandgoldenfountainSmall.jpg

waterfall500thsecSmall.jpg

I couldn't quite get the colors to match for this one because I didn't do a very good job exposing. I thought it looked cool though. :)

Nice shots.

What's with all the security guards thinking they can tell people not to take photos in public? This issue has been discussed to death but it still drives me crazy.

To my understanding, there is no law (in Canada or the US) that says you can't photograph in public (Buildings etc.) I understand why there is a concern but to tell someone they can't do something...defeats the whole purpose.

The part that really bothers me is that the enforcement officials (security guards & police) can be so grossly ignorant about it...and can use their authority to their advantage so that pointing out their mistake is the worst thing you can do. :roll:

Sorry...I don't mean to hi-jack your thread. You have some nice photos here.

It's the whole post 9/11 thing. Apparently they caught a guy in Dallas that apparently had terrorist links and had shot numerous pictures of buildings downtown; one more excuse to be even more paranoid.

And oh god, now that I look at the pictures all together, the color discrepency is awful!

I like the 2nd the best but they're all very good! Houston has changed a bit since 1973 when I lived there...

Hey... I know that town. It is strange that you had someone tell you to stop. Were you at a particular building? (So I know where to be careful). I took pictures in the spring all over downtown and no one said anything to me.

Yeah, it was a few specific buildings, but I forget which ones. I think the terrorist photograhs incident was after spring...perhaps. I dunno. Hehe, do you know that piece of crap old run-down piece of crap garage to the far right of the parking lot for Minute Maid Park? *gasps for breath* Well I was shooting over there and got stopped and IDed by a cop on a bike. The lady asked me what I was doing and who I was shooting for. I mean, this place looked like no one had used it for anything in ages, so I figured there was no harm in shooting a few pictures in there. Apparently it was owned by Hakeem Olojuwan and I was trespassing. Funny, it looked more like it belonged to hobos. Man, what a crazy city... good times, good times. :D

Oh yeah, and theres a little park kinda garden kinda place with tall, skinny, trimmed evergreens (not sure what kind). Don't shoot there...it's private property. You can walk through it and enjoy it to your heart's content, but don't dare try to capture it on film... that would make The Man angry. Rebellion!!! :twisted:

All this talk of downtown just makes me want to go down there this weekend and take pictures. Alas it is supposed to rain.

Here are a few of the pictures I took in the spring. (Use slideshow to click through them.)

http://homepage.mac.com/aoide11/PhotoAlbum11.html

I review my Photographer's Rights and carry a copy with me for reference. They can't really stop you from taking pictures of downtown buildings from other locations. Only while you are standing on their property.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

And of course one thing that probably helps me is that I have a Canon S45. It looks like a tourist camera versus a camera that a professional would use.

i wonder if someone here will suggesst... THEMES for looking up, lol lotus or somethin i forget..

Most reactions

Back