Downtown LA during Christmas (Too heavy for 56K)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Paradigm_Shift, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Paradigm_Shift

Paradigm_Shift TPF Noob!

You guys have been so nice with the comments to my last set so I figured I'd share some more with you. During the Christmas holiday, my friends and I decided to try our hand at some nighttime photography. Our initial plan was to photograph Griffith Park (where the Griffith Observatory and Greek Theater are at overlooking Hollywood) but it was congested due to a festival of lights. Instead, we decided to go to downtown and photograph the skyline and sorrounding area.

I took these when I had just gotten my camera so I was brand new to it. I'm still trying to learn the ropes of photography. I'm thinking into taking a class sometime. Anyway, enough rambling.....

This is a water fountain at the base of Griffith Park that changes colors. Taken with F/4.8 and 1.5 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Another of the fountain. Taken with F/2 and 5 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This is the US Bank Tower, the tallest building west of the Mississippi river. Taken with F/5.6 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Another picture of the tower with an art piece in the foreground. Taken with F/4 and 5 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

I don't know the name of this building, but the light display was nice. Taken with F/8 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This was at a bridge connecting the Bonaventure Hotel to the street. Taken with F/6.3 with 5 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This is a parking structure. I thought it made for an interesting picture. Taken with F/4 and 1 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This is a buddy of mine near an art piece that had a bottom light source that gives the image an eery sense. Taken with F/2.2 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Long exposure shot of 6th street. Taken with F/10 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Long exposure shot of the 110 freeway facing northbound. F/5.6 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the southbound 110. F/11 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the northbound 110. F/8 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

This is facing the southbound 110 towards the Staples Center. F/11 and 8 second exposure.
    [​IMG]

And finally this setting up a shot of the Bonaventure. F/2.8 and 1 second exposure
    [​IMG]

Critiques welcome :)

2. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice work the paradigm..

its late here so i must go to bed shortly but i just wanted to comment on my
    favourites ones real quick:

#2: Lovely colours - very neon, dig it. Would it have been possible to stand back a bit further to get the tip of the fountain as well as the entire reflection?

#4 My favourite.. but you'll laugh if you hear why. I picked up a Fung Shui artice at my eye doc's receptions area last month. It talked about how sharp angles from statues and other objects attack the 'chi' of buildings in a city. Lol, this reminded me of that. But aside from that, great colour and interesting shot.

#8 For some reason your friend looks just as much as statue as the bronze work... was this intentional? If it were me in the picture I would probably do obscene things to the statue ;)

I love the angles on the self portrait, i don't think the shot would be the same if it weren't slightly crooked (usually i am nitpicky about straight horizons, but I do find exceptions on occasion)

The times exposures look nice, but just a little cliched (but hey the are still cool) I personally dig time expesures that are taken from buildings so it looks like a lava flow in the streets between them.

phew.. i am knackered. time for bed! Thanks for sharing these paradigm! :thumbsup:

3. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

photos 3, 4, & 6, again outstanding composition and study in lines. you have a real strenghth in this respect- are you composing pictures in your head before you shoot or is this unconscious?

my favorite is #4. love the bisecting lines....
    thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

4. Daig55

Daig55 TPF Noob!

I love the pictures of the cars lights being streaked. I was wondering, How did you shoot at night? That's something i need to learn.