Downtown Savannah B&W

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm just getting into black and white photography a bit, and I would love to hear some suggestions/comments on this photo.

BroughtonBW.jpg

The B&W conversion is not bad but the photo is the most boring. Savannah has so much better to offer to the photographer that you should be ashamed to show this which could have been shot in just about any city in the land.

Please work a bit harder.

Wow....a bit harsh I think... I didn't post it with a large bold statement above stating "THE BEST OF SAVANNAH" I've lived here my whole life, I'm aware of what Savannah has to offer... I just thought it was a nice photo...

Wow....a bit harsh I think... I didn't post it with a large bold statement above stating "THE BEST OF SAVANNAH" I've lived here my whole life, I'm aware of what Savannah has to offer... I just thought it was a nice photo...

DirtyD
Sometimes we need a good slap to wake us up.
Since you mention that you have a life long experience in Savanhah; now go and take your great shots of the different scenes that Savanhah has to offer and show us.

*just a suggestion to add:
Try working with the color sliders to see what happens in your next shoot. Also be careful of the time of day, there are some blown out highlights...maybe earlier or later in the day, or in areas of shadows during the harsh lighting time - focus in on tighter shots.

The B&W conversion is not bad but the photo is the most boring. Savannah has so much better to offer to the photographer that you should be ashamed to show this which could have been shot in just about any city in the land.

Nice C&C cloudy...you should be ashamed to write something that's so obviously a useless C&C. Maybe you could try and be a little bit more harsh next time, so we can all be impressed. "Only from the mind of Minolta."

Nice C&C cloudy...you should be ashamed to write something that's so obviously a useless C&C. Maybe you could try and be a little bit more harsh next time, so we can all be impressed. "Only from the mind of Minolta."

Well then, why don't write us a few hundred lines about how great this photo is?

Make sure and include a whole lot of your encyclopedic but often wrong knowledge of photography.

To the OP: Sorry if you find my post harsh but it is only my opinion. As are most posts on forums, personal opinions. Out of curiosity, what do you thing makes this photo nice?

Well then, why don't write us a few hundred lines about how great this photo is?

Make sure and include a whole lot of your encyclopedic but often wrong knowledge of photography.

To the OP: Sorry if you find my post harsh but it is only my opinion. As are most posts on forums, personal opinions. Out of curiosity, what do you thing makes this photo nice?

Your first post is not useless because it's too harsh, and no one is suggesting the only useful post is one full of praise. Your first post is useless because you don't do anything except call the picture boring, which is fine without the rest of the excessively harsh post.

Your first post is not useless because it's too harsh, and no one is suggesting the only useful post is one full of praise. Your first post is useless because you don't do anything except call the picture boring, which is fine without the rest of the excessively harsh post.

Nice try at a put-down cloudywalker. Even brutus can spot that you're acting like a tool. Crack open another one for me!:sexywink:

Did you read my post? I guess not because I did more than say the photo was boring.

Have you ever been to Savannah? I lived up the road for about 4 years so I know there are way more interesting things to shoot there.

But, please, you and Derrel can both tell me what is so fascinating about this shot which could be from anywhere USA.

And Derrel, if you need another one (which I doubt), crack it open yourself.

What time is it there in France cloudy? Well after midnight, I suspect...
Touche!, as above.

As two people have pointed out c.cloudy, your original C&C has that late-night "crankiness" cough cough that we've come to expect from you. You ought to, in you own words, "be ashamed to write that which could have been done by any rude high school kid who has absolutely nothing good to say, about anybody's work." If you want to give C&C late at night cough cough, then keep it on track,and make it useful.

Your original post was out of line, and two people have called you on it, and now you're showing that late night cough cough attitude...again...days later...

Last edited:
Touche!, as above.

You're such a joke. Do you turn into a pumpkin after midnight? I don't.

It's 3am here by the way which would have taken 2 clicks of your mouse to find out if you were able to do that.

Touche!, as above.

You're such a joke. Do you turn into a pumpkin after midnight? I don't.

It's 3am here by the way which would have taken 2 clicks of your mouse to find out if you were able to do that.

When do the bars close there?

I recently moved from Savannah and can totally picture where you're standing. Perhaps moving to your left to capture more of the sidewalk view with the SCAD sign.

Or maybe a few snaps of Vinnie Van Go-Go's to take me back to the good times. ;)

At mid-day, shoot indoors, or put the camera away and have a :cheers:, take a nap, surf the web, read a book, etc until later in the day when the light has gotten better.

The photo is a bit short contrast, the holy grail of B&W.

Is the photo a conversion or a capture? If it's a conversion, how did you convert it? If it's a capture and you want to continue making B&W photos that way, you'll need to get some filters for the lens to pre-process the contrast.

I recently moved from Savannah and can totally picture where you're standing. Perhaps moving to your left to capture more of the sidewalk view with the SCAD sign.

Or maybe a few snaps of Vinnie Van Go-Go's to take me back to the good times. ;)

Vinnie's has the best pizza in Savannah dude!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back