DP Review to review lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Iron Flatline, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Some of you may be aware of this announcement, but in case you missed it, this is actually a pretty big deal:

DP Review will cover lenses

I haven't spent much time with MTF charts, or some of the other more arcane ways of comparing lenses... but I think it is great that DP Review will start doing this. There's ultimately something beyond comparable characteristics that will ultimately come to the forefront. Some of the Japanese lenses (like Canon's L lenses) are really strong in terms of testing, but they lack a certain soul, a unique way of drawing the subject. Anyone who has ever worked with different Leica 35mm and 50mm RF lenses can attest that model deals with contrast and sharpness differently - it's not just a question of max aperture. Hopefully these lens tests will guide us closer to understanding the real differences between a lot of the various lenses in the consumer market. I think we will also finally see that not everything they make is brilliant, and that some of the after-market (or third-party) lens manufacturers are actually quite good.

2. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nice. I'll have to keep an eye on there for some Nikon lens reviews.

3. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well If they cover lenses as well as they do cameras, it should prove to be a great resource for many of us.