dragon fly c&c

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by nrois02, Jun 2, 2009.

1. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    so i took a lot of photos of a dragon fly and i was wondering what you guys and gals think of them. i dont have a macro yet but im thinking about getting it cause i want the close up. let me know what you think. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one has a mosquito in it. thought it was kinda cool.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no one has any input? i would like to hear it. i thought these weren't the greatest but any input?

3. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sad bump.

4. SouthEastFirePhoto

SouthEastFirePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like #5. The sun on the wings is so cool. Good job!!

5. paulk_68

paulk_68 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi nrois02, this post is not to criticize your photos, it is to help you learn. I hope you will not be offended by my comments.

#1) Would look nicer as a vertical crop. Your camera was metering the exposure for the bright background and, as a result, the darker dragonfly looks underexposed. In the future you can try using your flash (even though your meter is telling you that you do not need it), experimenting with your cameras exposure metering modes, or looking for a background that is close to the same brightness as your main subject (preferably a solid background). If you are using Photoshop to edit your images, try moving your shadows and highlight sliders around to make the dragonfly brighter.

#2) The exposure is better but, the dragonfly is out of focus. Your lens was focused just in front of the dragonfly because there was nothing nearby the dragonfly (behind it) to stop the auto-focus from searching. Look through your cameras manual and, read about using its center AF (auto-focus) point. If you still have trouble getting the lens to focus on your subject, shoot manual focus. If you want to shoot a lot of macros, start getting used to manual focus. When you focus on an animal or insect, it is really important that the eyes are in focus and sharp.

Images of animals and insects rarely look good when your subject is in the center of your frame, try using the rule of thirds when you can. You will either have to learn how to lock your auto-focus (usually by pressing halfway down on shutter button after your subject is in focus) and, then compose your image, or you will have to manual focus.

This image would have looked better with a horizontal crop because of the length and height of your subject.

#3) Same comments from #2 apply here. While capturing things like misquotes flying around in your shots may seem neat now, in the future you will see them as just a distraction from your main subject.

The last three shots of the female pond-hawk or blue-dasher (it is really hard to tell in your images which it is) are cool. It is not often that you get to hold a dragonfly in your hand like that. The dragonfly is a little out of focus and dark but, it really does not matter too much with shots like those.

You can see some of my dragonfly shots here Dragon & Damselflies Photo Gallery by Paul at pbase.com They are far from perfect but may give you some ideas for the future. Keep shooting and have fun :)

Paul

6. nrois02

nrois02 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Paulk_68 i am in the no least offended by what you have written. thanks for the help! i was in manual focus but it was cloudy then the sun broke so i was trying to figure that out and i had no thought of using my flash that would have been a great idea. the focus is on in some parts of the dragonfly but not all. i was holding the dragon fly in one hand and my camera in the other just trying to take pictures and get the focal range with out really looking but thank you so much for the advice and i will try again! btw great pictures! its given me some ideas!