Dragonflies and Damselflies in 2015

These are just awesome!! Love the colors!

These are very nice. They are very colorful.

ken

Superp Capture of what I call Kamikaze,just need some explosive missiles.I tried to capture them once and the only thing that happen is I got dizzy and tired.

Thanks for the comps. These were taken with Nikon 200mm micro on D810 with SB910 flash. Post processing in Lightroom and CS6. I have found that if you will start flashing (don't worry too much about focus and sharpness initially) from a few feet away, and slowly working your way in closer and closer as you flash, the bugs are more likely to stay in place, vs. trying to sneak up on them then shooting. I guess the flash temporarily diminishes their vision. Of course some species, like the calico pennant-#3, are easier to get closer too. I may shoot 10 or more shots of one bug just to get (maybe) the one I like.

These are all really wonderful! What aperture did you shoot these at?

I really like your photos! The detail and colors are great. I never thought about using a flash for macro.

I'm always impressed with God's design.

FITBMX, I usually shoot these dragonflies in the f10-18 range. If I have a full side view, I may go down to an f8 because the whole body is in the DOF. If I go that wide, the wings may not all get in focus if they are open (which they usually are on a dragonfly but many damsel's will close their wings when perched). It just depends on the effect you might want. I try to shoot at ISO 100 and often they are underexposed, but if not too much, post processing takes care of that. Don't be afraid to bump up the ISO if need be. Jimmerjamma, I totally agree that God's design is awesome and fun to capture in a photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back