Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

P1000573sm.jpg

P1000575sm.jpg

P1000592sm.jpg

Anybody know what is causing the background circles?

Last edited:

My guess would be that they're out of focus highlights. Basically just really white parts of the background that reflect a lot of light. But I could be wrong.

usually this is caused when the light in the background isn't focused and ends up creating a "bokeh" of it.
i have a feeling there was some sort of light emitting from somewhere and because your focus was on the Dragonflies so it made that effect.

Thanks guys, the explanations of the circles makes sense.

John, I knew the last one was a damselfly but not the name of the dragon - thanks.

Nice shots Ron.

How long do you sit, waiting for them to come?
Or do you stalk them?

Nice shots. I love these things. I swear you could probably keep them as pets. Whenever one is flying around I hold my hand out and they pretty much come right over and land on me. I had one on my shoulder for a good 20 minutes one day.

Granted, I seem to live in some sort of dragon fly utopia... it's wild. Right around dusk or so, you can look up into the sky and it looks like you're being descended upon by hundreds of the things. It's nuts. Makes perfect sense when you think about it, but maaaaaan...

Nice shots Ron.

How long do you sit, waiting for them to come?
Or do you stalk them?

Laf, I chase them around the pond. The lighting was tough that day bright sun & heavy shade depending where I was around the pond. Get set up in one condition & then you are shooting a few feet away in the other. The pics are not as sharp as I expected so I hope to try again if the skeeters will let me past the gate. :(

how did you get those f*****s to stop moving lol. I tried shooting them once but everytime im about to press the shutter they fly away. I was about to throw my camera at them lol. Great shots. Also with the circles make sure you dont have any dust on the lens.

how did you get those f*****s to stop moving lol. I tried shooting them once but everytime im about to press the shutter they fly away. I was about to throw my camera at them lol. Great shots. Also with the circles make sure you dont have any dust on the lens.
Throwing the camera at them prolly would just end up killing them and I'm sure you don't wanna take a picture of those while they're dead and it may also damage the camera immensely.

:greenpbl:

Throwing the camera at them prolly would just end up killing them and I'm sure you don't wanna take a picture of those while they're dead and it may also damage the camera immensely.

(it was a joke ;))

pfft... good luck! When I was younger I would spend hours trying to hit these things with rocks. I could invariably hit the leaf or whatever that they were sitting on, but never ONCE did I hit a dragonfly. The things have ESP.

Most reactions

Back