dragonfly

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
dragonfly.jpg

I am going to assume he just wants a critique on the whole image Hertz.

Toby, I really like the focus of this one, esp in the wing; and the composition. I would clone out the two spots (dust?) in the frame. They are a bit of a distraction. I wish there was more pop in the color. I assume from the light, you took this during the middle of the day. Maybe try to shot something like this in late afternoon, early evening, the light is so much better then.

Maybe play with the staturation a bit to make it stand out more?

thanks geronimo. yes, any and all critique appreciated.

colors look much better before jpeg compression.

macro work is alot harder than it looks, eh? i'm trying to shoot at highest speeds possible with a 10d, but want the dof, so i tend to shoot in very bright light like at midday. i try to keep iso at 200 just so i don't loose too much color pop- so my parameters are pretty tight. how do you compensate for later day shooting, or do you just make sure you're still in full sun? so damn many shadows in the flower garden i've been shooting.

so herz, you're a forum post-cop now, huh? congrats on your promotion.

I hate the lost of color during the compression. It just kills me after you work on the full version and you have to re-adjust it again.

Did you shoot this nearly wide open? If I was shooting this I still shoot in the full sun. Up here I would wait till about 5 or 6 and just sit and wait for it to happen. Course the sun up here is completely different then down in the states, setting around 11 or so still. I guess I would say say when the sun pasts into the last quarter of its run. Should still give you plenty of light but still some more pop.

Oh and yes macros are a pain to shoot outdoors, might be why I dont do to many of this.

Oops! I pressed the wrong key set.
I have actually been a Mod in here for a while - it's just that people don't notice me.

Tobes, it's great to see you posting again. :hug::

I bet you haven't noticed the member count lately, but it's well over 5K now (I know - amazing!). :shock: The critique forum was created to make sure folks had a forum to place images where specific feedback was desired, you may recall, cause everything was getting lost in the General Gallery. ;) We thought imposing some guidelines would help newbies decide where best to put their stuff.

One of the main guidelines is just asking posters to kid of pre-state what they were trying to achieve when posting an image, and include some technical data (if known), to help ensure a thoughtful critique is given. Geronimo knows you and your style, so it was easier for him. :razz:

However, it does confuse some long-standing members, such as yourself, who get busy with life and come back without knowing any changes have been made. Try to stick around longer this time, so you can keep up, eh? :greenpbl:

btw - love this image, great DOF and it's razor-sharp on the wings. My only nitpick would be to not have placed the flower stem so perfectly center.

Welcome back - You've been missed! :D

terri said:
Geronimo knows you and your style, so it was easier for him. :razz:

Know the guy? I barely like him. nah I kid I kid. But it good seeing some old faces from time to time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back