Drawing the line between artistic identity and following the rules

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello friends co-creators, and artists,
New on this Forum, Originally from Southern California, currently living on the french riviera.
My background in photography... I actually started on the fashion design and stylist side, started getting asked to shoot, took courses at NYIP, now it's my full time Job.
Some of you may or may not have dealt with the French, but the french do a few things well: Cheese, Wine, and complaining. (and I don't mean the constructive criticism kind)

When I was studying photography and working with my mentors one of the things I came to believe as that photography is a bunch of choices. Presented with the same subject many of you may chose to shoot it differently, different cropping, different focal lengths, different lighting... anyone with a tiny bit of technical knowledge knows out of that same subject study, an infinity of images can be produced. Making those choices and consistently being able to have that flavor is what gives that artistic signature.
That signature may not be to people's taste, it may even sometimes break "rules" but so long as there is a reason and the result can be reproduced isn't that what makes the artist world so limitless with infinite possibilities?

I was just hoping to get other people's and specifically creative people's input... Maybe I am out of my mind to think these things.

thanks guys,

J-
www.justingagephotostudio.com

6151124965.gif

I think I understand your premise, although I disagree.

Last edited:
.. so long as there is a reason and the result can be reproduced isn't that what makes the artist world so limitless with infinite possibilities?
No.

The reason many artists think that is because they are undisciplined and uneducated. It would be a valid point of view if you're expecting only random perceptions. The trick is to elicit the reaction you intend.

Reactions: KmH
Hello friends co-creators, and artists,
New on this Forum, Originally from Southern California, currently living on the french riviera.
Making those choices and consistently being able to have that flavor is what gives that artistic signature.
That signature may not be to people's taste, it may even sometimes break "rules" but so long as there is a reason and the result can be reproduced isn't that what makes the artist world so limitless with infinite possibilities?
J-
www.justingagephotostudio.com

I think this is the question, which seems like too much thinking for a Friday to answer. I'd say I think you can break so-called rules and that some reason or thought should be behind that, but I'm not sure what being able to reproduce the result has to do with it, and I don't know that this is what makes the art world limitless, etc.

elicit the reaction you intend.

This is the real point of photography.
Too often people can't or don't do that because 1) they really don't know what their intent is or what the reaction should be, 2) they can't see the gap between what they have captured in their camera and what exists in their mind or 3) they don't know how to close that gap.

And, there are no rules.

It would be a valid point of view if you're expecting only random perceptions. The trick is to elicit the reaction you intend.

I'd say I think you can break so-called rules and that some reason or thought should be behind that,but I'm not sure what being able to reproduce the result has to do with it

By reproducing the result I meant thinking out the creative process and having an intentional choice in the tools used to achieve the result, regardless of how unconventional they are. Fully aware of the "rule that was broken" but taking voluntary freedoms knowing full well how the image should have been "conventionally shot"
I am sorry for opening this can of worms as my first post here. But thanks for the input.

Best,
J-

It would be a valid point of view if you're expecting only random perceptions. The trick is to elicit the reaction you intend.

I'd say I think you can break so-called rules and that some reason or thought should be behind that,but I'm not sure what being able to reproduce the result has to do with it

By reproducing the result I meant thinking out the creative process and having an intentional choice in the tools used to achieve the result, regardless of how unconventional they are. Fully aware of the "rule that was broken" but taking voluntary freedoms knowing full well how the image should have been "conventionally shot"
I am sorry for opening this can of worms as my first post here. But thanks for the input.

Best,
J-
Oh, so it is kind of like living an everyday ordinary common sense life.

1. I've dealt with the French.
2. Life is a bunch of choices, photography is no different.
3. Honestly I'm not really sure what it is your asking for input on, unless of course your attempting to duplicate my artistic signature.
4. For the record I've changed my artistic signature to an unpronounceable symbol, allowing me to get highly offended when you pronounce it incorrectly

Too often people can't or don't do that because 1) they really don't know what their intent is or what the reaction should be, 2) they can't see the gap between what they have captured in their camera and what exists in their mind or 3) they don't know how to close that gap
Thanks that's the point or the flip side of it. When someone knowingly breaks a conventional rule knows how and why. Being able to continue growing and learning while being able to claim creative liberties as part of the visual identity

3. Honestly I'm not really sure what it is your asking for input on, unless of course your attempting to duplicate my artistic signature.
4. For the record I've changed my artistic signature to an unpronounceable symbol, allowing me to get highly offended when you pronounce it incorrectly
But you will always be remembered for..................................

But you will always be remembered for..................................

Well sure, but that was back during my purple phase. As I've grown and matured as an arteest, well I've moved more into an aubergine until finally settling into a deep fuchsia.

Most reactions

Back