Dreaded Sigma 70-200mm Autofocus problem

Shaft

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all !! Great forum and first time poster.

I just purchased a used Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM for my Nikon D300. It worked great during testing before I bought it, but the following day the autofocus all of a sudden completely stopped working. I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the lens just to make sure and also switched to other lenses -- everything worked except for the Sigma. Probably why the guy sold it to get rid of a problematic lens. From what read lately this seems to be a common problem on this Sigma lens.

I realized that I need to send this in to a authorized Sigma repair shop and I'm wondering for the people who had experienced this kind of repair before, how much did you end up spending to fix the issue?

Does this mean the HSM needs to be replaced?

I would like to know before I start calling the repair centers so I have some sort of knowledge when I talk to the technician.

Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of the problem, personally, but that doesn't mean much. You made sure the AF switch is fully in position and all of that jazz too? Did you get the original receipt with the lens from the guy?

I just had to have my Tamron 70-200 completely rebuilt as it totally fell apart. It ran me $250. Really not bad considering it fell apart and the front half fell to the gym floor. I haven't had my Sigma serviced yet, so I have no direct experience with Sigma, but I'd expect them to be on par with the rest of them. Mine goes in for servicing in December.

In my experience repairs are expensive, but overall much cheaper than you'd expect. I prefer to deal with the Sigma/Tamron/Canon or Nikon repair than a repair shop, but probably only because I don't have a repair shop near me. I'd then compare.

Yes i made sure all the switches and settings are good. The guy wont answer my phone calls. He is guilty of selling a defective lens to me thats for sure.

When buying used gear, it's buyer beware. Seems you maybe didn't beware enough.

Without knowing why the lens won't focus, no one can tell you how much it will cost to repair, but figure somewhere around $250.

I thought about this one after I went to bed. (I know, something just isn't mentally right with me sometimes) I'm not sure I'd assume it's the motor either. I'd venture to guess it's a faulty switch if it worked and focused when you tested it, but won't now.

I has become a nightmare. I've called several authorized Sigma repair facility including CRIS and most them said that the lens is too old to be serviced. The ones who are willing have aweful turn around times. I'm talking about 7-10 days just for estimate and 3-4 weeks to do the actual repair. :banghead:

So I called several independent camera repair shops around me and a few are willing to repair it. Can these guys be trusted? One of them was recommended to me by a camera store/dealer -- they send their repairs to these guys. Looks like they have been in business for 50 years. I'm seriously considering taking my lens to them since they can do the estimate in a couple of hours and couple of days to do the repair.

Any thought? thx.

Last edited:
When buying used gear, it's buyer beware. Seems you maybe didn't beware enough.

Unfortunately the risk is high when buying used gear and I knew that going into it. I've bought a ton of stuff via CL or eBay over the years and this is the first time I got a defective product.

Like I said it worked great, lens is very clean, no wear on it and the guy was very pleasant in person. So I'm not certain what I could've done to make sure it was not going to die within 24 hours.

I has become a nightmare. I've called several authorized Sigma repair facility including CRIS and most them said that the lens is too old to be serviced. The ones who are willing have aweful turn around times. I'm talking about 7-10 days just for estimate and 3-4 weeks to do the actual repair. :banghead:

So I called several independent camera repair shops around me and a few are willing to repair it. Can these guys be trusted? One of them was recommended to me by a camera store/dealer -- they send their repairs to these guys. Looks like they have been in business for 50 years. I'm seriously considering taking my lens to them since they can do the estimate in a couple of hours and couple of days to do the repair.

Any thought? thx.
Try KEH. They have a repair department. Repair Center - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras

Any thought? thx.
Try KEH. They have a repair department. Repair Center - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras

Called KEH and the average repair turn-around time is 3-4 weeks.

I emailed CRJ - Camera Repair Japan and they can fix it in about 10 days. They are a sigma authorized repair center in GA. I'm not certain why some are willing to fix it, some are not.

Any thought? thx.

Called KEH and the average repair turn-around time is 3-4 weeks.

I emailed CRJ - Camera Repair Japan and they can fix it in about 10 days. They are a sigma authorized repair center in GA. I'm not certain why some are willing to fix it, some are not.
Camera Repair Japan is in Georgia? That's kind of funny!
Hope it works out for you!

many camera shops wont do repairs because even though you bring them a broken lens or camera, they are still afraid of being held liable for damages you might say they caused or made worse. I wont go into my feelings on the problems with litigation in this country, but im sure it makes a lot of shops very leery about dealing with repairs. Usually you have to take items like that to an actual Canon or Nikon dealer for repairs.

Just a quick update.

I sent my Sigma lens to CRJ - Camera Repair Japan (authorized Sigma repair facility) and they repaired the autofocus motor, adjusted focus and aperture flex and cleaned the lens for $192. Six months warranty.

Turned around time was 7 business days from the time they recieved it, to the time it delivered to my door.

I'm a happy customer and the lens works great.

I bought one of these (Sigma EX HSM APO 70-200 f2.8) around 10 years ago, I never used it much but I did like it. I noticed recently that it wasn't autofocusing with my old Canon D60, now replaced by a 5D MkIII but the same problem. I'm now told the lens is too old to be supported by Sigma and there are no parts for it. If that is the case then there's no way I'll ever buy another Sigma lens. Ever.

Most reactions

Back