Dream Job Street Shots

so did you just basically stop these people and ask them to write down what they'd like to do?

Yah, I asked if I could take their photo and then explained if they didn't say no right away. I got around 20 no's before the first yes. These were the only 8 people who said yes in 2 hours of asking everyone who walked by, haha.

Yah, I asked if I could take their photo and then explained if they didn't say no right away. I got around 20 no's before the first yes. These were the only 8 people who said yes in 2 hours of asking everyone who walked by, haha.

out of curiosity... did you notice a type of "snowball" effect? i mean, once you got one yes, did someone else say yes right away, and so on? Or was it really just hit and miss?

I've thought about doing a similar project (using random people) and I'm really interested in the "process" (i guess it would be a process) of asking people to be in a photo.

Awesome idea, and well executed! Great job.:thumbup:

Beautiful idea.

Check out Richard Avedon's "In the American West" for an idea on what to do background wise. It's an absolutely beautiful series of portraits of everyday joes like yours but without the dream job thing.

avedon american west - Google Images
His background is just plain white. I imagine (because that is why I would do it that way too) that it is to bring 100% of the viewer's attention to the subject. No distraction whatsoever.

I believe your series could benefit from a similar background. Also try and keep the lighting fairly constant throughout the series.

Good luck with this project and hope to see way more in the future.

It may actually help get more people to say yes if you have a mini type of studio set up on the sidewalk. Just make sure and check with your city about possible permit needed.

Great!
I had a good laugh "Plumer" :D

I also like the fact how you asked random people... makes it... genuine :)

Good on ya for having the kahuna's to do this. Although I think it's a slant on GMA's "Three Words" segment, doesn't take away from your efforts. Keep at it.

Only sugesstions would be to move your subjects further from the background, keep away from reflective backgrounds and to switch them (backgrounds) up as you go. Also, once you know what their Dream Job would be, try to direct their body language to emulate whatever it is. Do a CarrotTop (ugghhhh) and have a prop box handy.

EDIT:
Just noticed Cloudwalkers idea of the white background..... even better.

out of curiosity... did you notice a type of "snowball" effect? i mean, once you got one yes, did someone else say yes right away, and so on? Or was it really just hit and miss?

I've thought about doing a similar project (using random people) and I'm really interested in the "process" (i guess it would be a process) of asking people to be in a photo.

Awesome idea, and well executed! Great job.:thumbup:

Nah, they were mostly pretty spread out. I'm sure if I was somewhere more busy that might have happened though...

Thanks man!

Beautiful idea.

Check out Richard Avedon's "In the American West" for an idea on what to do background wise. It's an absolutely beautiful series of portraits of everyday joes like yours but without the dream job thing.

avedon american west - Google Images
His background is just plain white. I imagine (because that is why I would do it that way too) that it is to bring 100% of the viewer's attention to the subject. No distraction whatsoever.

I believe your series could benefit from a similar background. Also try and keep the lighting fairly constant throughout the series.

Good luck with this project and hope to see way more in the future.

I really like those! I've seen another photographer, Clay Enos, doing the same thing(obviously Avedon did it first) . I'd rather not do the white background, it's cool the first time you see it, but I'd rather have city surroundings in the photos. For next time I will use more interesting backgrounds and change them for every photo though. Thanks!

I really, REALLY like #1. Its just a great idea and the fact that he is wearing a suit and wants to be a farmer...and the grey background goes good with his suit. Just wish the lighting was a bit more even.

Most reactions

Back