gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Drinks to Warm You Up!

This winter has been a bit tough, we have had tons of snow and the general mood is low. So decided to use Bitter's first project to try to warm you up and to invite you to spend a fantastic time by the chimney along with your lover and have some drinks. Our intent was to transmit a reserved and romantic mood in the photo.

Settings

This is the row data: D5000, ISO 160, f/5.6, 1/1.5, 55-200 lens (62 mm) and tripod.

We set up our coffee table in front of the chimney and used only 2 small lamps, 50W white light, that we bought in home depot. One lamp was located on the floor, between the chimney and the coffee table, pointing to the top part of the cups. The idea was to clear up the liquid in the drink without having any reflections in the glass. The second lamp was pointing to the ceiling. No other light was on.

This version has fixed the tilt issue:
4409601405_e5460511d0.jpg

Some people have wondered what would be the photo if the camera was a bit lower. Even Bitter suggested me to do it, however I think the background is distracting and the drinks are not longer the protagonist. This is the other shot:

4411490977_d651a964b6.jpg

Look at the photo and let us know if you would like to be having those drinks by the chimney. Also give us your technical comments which will be really welcome.

In the future, we would like to try some other colors in the drink to see how they look like. Bitter, thanks for your help, we have really enjoyed this first project and we are looking forward to the next.

iBats, this was the layout used for lighting; It was only two lamps and no other light was on. I hope is clear now.

4415088897_917f2afb8c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Warm and inviting. Nice job! Sorry, no technical comments, I just really like the shot!

I feel like the picture is crooked..or like leaning towards the left..is it me? -_-
I like the warmness of the background, but it gets my attention more than the actual subject. Partially because of those really bright areas, that can be so distracting.
I like how it looks like there's a small fire in each of them, though.

Great composition and very sharp and clear. It looks like you actually put thought into shooting it. The only thing is, it looks crooked but at the same time I feel it looks good that way. Perfect background for the picture as well as the title!

Yeah, it is tilted left; the stems aren't straight vertical. That should easy to fix though. Did you do it on purpose?

Otherwise, it is perfect.

Awsome shot, I definitely "feel" it. The salt on the rims is very crisp. I had to really look hard to find something not to like... there are two white speck's on the table in front of the glasses and the reflection of the fireplace on the back edge of the table is a little strange. I think the tilt works here but I'd like to see it side-by-side with a non-tilted version. I'm wondering why you chose to tilt. Just curious. It seems to work with food and drink photos.

I think the tilt works here but I'd like to see it side-by-side with a non-tilted version. I'm wondering why you chose to tilt. Just curious. It seems to work with food and drink photos.

Thanks bazooka. I fixed the sample on top. I was trying to give it a bit more room to the left cup.

I hope now it is better.

Last edited:
I like the picture it gives off a feeling of warmth and it is better now that you straightened it. I also love how you can see the reflection of the fire in the glass.

I think it might have looked better with lower angle. And I dont know if its just me but the ice around the rim of the drinks takes a bit away from the feeling of warmth that the background makes you feel.

Looks good, but honestly, I don't immediately think "I want to have one of those by the fire." They drinks themselves don't really captivate me simply because of their colour and opaqueness, but that could just be me. Also, the crop feels a bit tight for me, but that could again just be opinion because everyone else likes it :lol: Nice work though! I can see you've put a lot of effort into the shot.

Great capture! I was a bit confused with everyones comments about the tilt. I scrolled back up at least a half-a-dozen times trying to find some tilt. Finally read your post about the edit. I feel much better now lol. I too was thinking about a lower angle. Then I tried putting myself into your shoes and wondering what that would like. If you get a lower angle then you're missing the liquid from the top perspective. You would also wind up having the more of tha blazing fire in the BG acting as a distraction. After thinking about it I imagine that you probably used a great angle on the subject. Still wonder what it would have looked like though :lmao:

I really enjoy the shot. The color is good, and you did a great job minimizing the reflections.
I would most certainly like to be there having a drink by the fire.

Thanks all you guys for your input, I really appreciate it.

I have noticed that some of you guys would like to see it from a lower angle. I have included another sample that I had to show it. Even Bitter suggested me to do it. (I should have posted this angle?).

Personally I like the first, I am not sure you guys?

Gah!! I'm torn! I really like the lower angle one now lol. I thought the fire would detract from the subject but now it's a whole new image altogether. Again, a bit too tight on the crop up top though. Really neat image!

The smaller glass looks a tad soft though. Maybe it's just my eyes.

I like the first pov better, it lets you look at what's inside from the top.
I love it now that it's straightened, perfect! :)

Most reactions

Back