Drone Wars - DJI Mavic vs GoPro Karma

CamPointShoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well seeing that these two items are used for aerialphotography, I hope I am posting on the correct page.

Anyway, I'd love to get your input on whether you would get the new DJI Mavic or the GoPro Karma and why. I'm trying to figure out which one I should get and I'm hoping that I would get your insight to help me decide.

I ordered the Mavic. I own an Inspire1 and while it creates great footage (I'm more the filmguy with drones), it is sometimes too cumbersome to transport. The mavic is the exact opposite. Well, and the Karma is somewhere inbetween which is not what I want. And to be honest, I never had too much success creating great looking GoPro footage. I often wonder how they create these great looking films.
Also the Karma lacks a follow function.

I ordered the Mavic. I own an Inspire1 and while it creates great footage (I'm more the filmguy with drones), it is sometimes too cumbersome to transport. The mavic is the exact opposite. Well, and the Karma is somewhere inbetween which is not what I want. And to be honest, I never had too much success creating great looking GoPro footage. I often wonder how they create these great looking films.

They stay very close to the subject. The Go Pro has a very wide angle lens.

Thanks Fred, but how do they achieve the colours and lighting. Those films look like filmed with a different camera, even with their flat color profile and doing color in post, I get nowhere near what they achieve. Their new hero5 trailer is just stunning, and so was hero4.

Thanks Fred, but how do they achieve the colours and lighting. Those films look like filmed with a different camera, even with their flat color profile and doing color in post, I get nowhere near what they achieve. Their new hero5 trailer is just stunning, and so was hero4.

To simplify, lighting, color and composition are all elements of good photography. They aren't specific to the Go Pro.

To simplify, lighting, color and composition are all elements of good photography. They aren't specific to the Go Pro.
True, but the gopro is the only camera I own, that I can't create the desired result with. No problems with other cameras and a fisheye lens. Same image or video from the gopro is just way worse. Any tips anyone for a gopro workflow for example for skiing? How can I achieve the color and dynamic range of the new gopro hero5 ad? A bright sunny day with great visibility should create a similar exposure anywhere in the world. That's the easy part. But then?

Just heard this news ...
"GoPro announced a recall of all of its Karma drones due to reports that the drones were losing power and falling out of the sky.

The company said it would halt shipments of the drone until it could fix the issue."
and they were having quality problems with their new camera
GoPro stock dives following two downgrades, Karma drone recall

Just heard this news ...
"GoPro announced a recall of all of its Karma drones due to reports that the drones were losing power and falling out of the sky.

The company said it would halt shipments of the drone until it could fix the issue."
and they were having quality problems with their new camera
GoPro stock dives following two downgrades, Karma drone recall
That doesn´t really surprise me. In fact things like that happened to every drone manufacturer I know. DJI being no exception. Drones are really nice, but they are dangerous too. Many of them have suddenly fallen off the skies for whatever reason. GoPro is the first to recall their drone on a large scale as far as I know. This is a pretty honest move, and others should have done that too. Unfortunately people don´t know that and I guess the bashing will start pretty soon.
In my opinion they should have left the drone business to others - too insecure, not good for the rest of their reputation, building rugged cameras.

It's been years since I've played with any RC toys or shot any remote camera footage from them. At one time years ago I had quite a fleet of water land and aircraft though and used to equip them with cameras a lot.

I'm finally getting my DJI Mavic Pro this coming Monday :)
I was able to secure one in which it will be shipped to me by free by Express Shipment :)
Can't wait to see everything under a different perspective.

I was able to secure one in which it will be shipped to me by free by Express Shipment :)
Cool - congrats! May I ask when and where you ordered? I ordered mine on 2016-09-28 with CVP in the UK - no news yet :(

Cool - congrats! May I ask when and where you ordered? I ordered mine on 2016-09-28 with CVP in the UK - no news yet :(

Got mine from DigitalRev. They have limited stock and its arriving on Friday . It normally takes them 3 days to arrive once shipped so hopefully Monday or Tuesday I should get it!

Got mine from DigitalRev. They have limited stock and its arriving on Friday . It normally takes them 3 days to arrive once shipped so hopefully Monday or Tuesday I should get it!
Thanks for the reply. A tough decision for me since I´m so long in the queue already. digitalrev says it ships within 1-2 weeks now. I guess I´ll wait and hope. From what I heard DJI said all orders made until November are going to be delivered before the end of the year. Hmmm...

Yeah, i just called and their last stock was sold. New ones are coming in on Dec 21 to 23 though. I'm glad I was in the first batch. Whew!

Most reactions

Back