drop shadows

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
does anyone have a great design for creating clean looking drop shadows? i try my hand at them but am never happy with the results. any examples would be much appreciated.

What software program? What object is getting the shadow?

In photoshop, drop shadow is a layer style that is very customizable. If you don't like that, you can always duplicate the object you are working with, go to the bottom layer and select your object, fill it with black, run a gaussian blur, and drop the opacity. Then move it around to place it where you want it.

i use ps cs. i mess around with it but need to see some examples. maybe you could copy one of my pics from the cathedral series now up and crop the image out and show me????? :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

maybe i just need a border instead. i see what airic is doing but im not sure i like all the heavy top and bottom.

The only other think I'd add to DigitalMatt's description is to change the shadow's blend mode to "multiply". That allow's it to mix with the colours below--making it a little more natural.

Something like this?

jon_mikal_church.jpg

That was done with a layer style in PS CS. The blend mode is set to Multiply by default, although there is no difference between multiply and normal blend.

Nice photo btw :thumbup:

thanks Matt, that looks great! i'm gonna give this a try. if i can't figure it out i'll be asking for a brief tutorial next. just send the bill to Cruzin :lmao:

JonMikal, just use a layer style. Put the photo and it's small white border on it's own layer, above the background layer, then do image, canvas size, click relative, and add some pixels to the entire document, about 50. Then click the layer with your photo, and do layer, layer style, drop shadow, and tinker around with the setting until you get what you want. The layer style is always editable, by double clicking it. It will be a white layer attached to the layer it's affecting. The size variable controls the spread and blur.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back