Drugs and Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do drugs help us enhance or inhibit creativity and our expression of such?

-

It has been proven in psychological studies that, at least, marijuana stimulates parts of the brain that show creative potential. Only during the actual high effect though, and it disappears when the high is gone.

The problem is you cannot just say "drugs", and you have to be specific to classes of drugs. Such as depressants, hallucinogens, entheogens, stimulants, etc.

never really TRIED being creative while on "drugs" but i'd probably agree... you can think of some really cool things while you're high

I don't do drugs but I do believe music can fuel creativity. When I work on graphics and I listen to some heavy drum & bass music I can make some of my best work.

Heavy drum and bass? Like Phetsta and Pendulum?

I'll have to ask my uncle if he got creative when he was one of Leary's paid test subjects at Harvard in the '50s.

When I was in college I swore up and down weed helped my creativity. As I look back I feel it inhibited it. Certainly killed my motivation. These days I need a clear head to be creative.

For me weed and beer is more for the mental relaxation. Tripping is a whole other story. Kind of gave up on that as well.

Love & Bass

Heavy drum and bass? Like Phetsta and Pendulum?

yea and like london elektricity, logistics, my favorite right now is the prodigy people- voodoo people (pendulum remix)

OMG!!! I love that song!!

I listen to mostly intelligent Drum and Base though, not much of the harder stuff. Mostly stuff off of the Hospital Label.

I think something like smoking dope etc could change how you perceive a subject/situation so may be creative in a way that you might have discounted taking a pic of the subject/situation if you'd been straight.

I think though getting how you've perceived it across to everyone else who's veiwing it (who are most likely all straight) may be more difficult.

Yes Drum & Bass is always, always good. Heavy stuff like (old) Noisia, Teebee, Caylk and Dieselboy gets my creative juices flowing. Hospital Records stuff I find more suitable to serious post production.

Interesting side note: Pendulum (live set) will be at Coachella Music Fest here in California April, 25. HOLLA!!!!!!!

Love & Bass

yea you could say iv done my fair share in the past. I kinda agree with Craig to an extent... when i was in art collage i firmly believed weed helped me 'tap in' to a level of consciousness that inspired my work and that i couldn't do it as well without it. I dont regret that tho... i do think at the time it did somewhat inspire me, but then so did being at college, the people, the lifestyle... its hard to pin down what had more of an effect on me.
Tripping can in a way open doors... but only to some in my experience, its not for eveyone. You know you've gone too far when you start including fairies in your work :lol:...

Remember, being 'off your face' and being in an artistic world has often gone hand in hand in the past.. and i have to say there have been many many inspired pieces of work to come from being under the influence, from Picasso (who was partial to the hallucinogenic drink absinth) to famous actors performances incuding Dennis Hopper and Martin Sheen in the film Apocalypse Now.

It is also true however that Picasso later died drunk... Martin Sheen put his hand through a mirror and suffered a near-fatal heart attack and Dennis Hopper was well... speeding... alot.

Yes Drum & Bass is always, always good. Heavy stuff like (old) Noisia, Teebee, Caylk and Dieselboy gets my creative juices flowing. Hospital Records stuff I find more suitable to serious post production.

Interesting side note: Pendulum (live set) will be at Coachella Music Fest here in California April, 25. HOLLA!!!!!!!

Love & Bass

umm... wrong topic guys:er:

yea you could say iv done my fair share in the past. I kinda agree with Craig to an extent... when i was in art collage i firmly believed weed helped me 'tap in' to a level of consciousness that inspired my work and that i couldn't do it as well without it. I dont regret that tho... i do think at the time it did somewhat inspire me, but then so did being at college, the people, the lifestyle... its hard to pin down what had more of an effect on me.
Tripping can in a way open doors... but only to some in my experience, its not for eveyone. You know you've gone too far when you start including fairies in your work :lol:...

The greek in my signature means "psychonaut", literally a sailor of the mind or the soul. My main research consists of the benefits of altered states of consciousness, not only drugs, but includes them. I 100% agree that it is not for everyone!! But I do firmly believe that if more people were in tune with who they were on the inside (whether through drugs or meditation or any altered state where you cannot hide from yourself), the world would be a MUCH better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back