Drying Glossy Prints

wjk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best way to dry glossy prints? (RC or fiber based)---I tried to use a blotter book but was not happy with the results---is a print dryer a good investment?

i was going to say, run it though a dryer. The last few prints i've done, i've just hung them up and hang dried them.

For rc, squeegee, then just hang them up to dry for 10 minutes (I use a clothesline in my darkroom). For fiber, squeegee, then put face up on print drying screens (like window screens). No need for a dryer.

I am different, I think different.. I work different

my ideas are only my opinion only!

I use the refrigerator.. I slap them right up on the outside take a sponge and wipe them once. peel them off 15 minutes later

take them off and throw them on the bed upside down for the back to dry.

That is my method for RC based prints.. Yes I have had many print dryers and expensive ones also

but for fiber prints you need ferrotyping plates, they are cheap, you need a roller and a lot of practice! don't use single weight paper double weight is much preferred. very high gloss.. or you can spray gloss on any print also for great results. or textures.

I forgot to answer your question and for some reason it would not let me edit the previous entry.

Stick with RC paper.. use the money you would have spent on the dryer and purchase more paper..

the paper prints you can sell! to make some more $$ you can't make any money off that dryer!

hang it out overnight at the most. though ive dried it for longer and it was still wet (that may be because some one put their print above mine and it dripped)

For fiber, squeegee, then put face up on print drying screens (like window screens). No need for a dryer.

The problem with air drying fibre is that some of the fibres can shrink more than others during the process and it will never dry flat. You get big uneven 'cockles'.
The best way is to get a proper print dryer.
These can be rotary or flat bed. They are heated surfaces with a 'blanket' that holds the print flat. Drying is quite quick.
If you hunt around you can find dryers and they shouldn't cost much. I actually got a rotary for nothing.
If you do a search in here you should find several threads on this topic - I remember contributing to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Print-Dryer-pho...7182780QQihZ013QQcategoryZ29988QQcmdZViewItem

It needs a bit of work (washing and neutralising the blanket mostly) but something like this would be fine.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The problem with air drying fibre is that some of the fibres can shrink more than others during the process and it will never dry flat. You get big uneven 'cockles'.

and it is worse with some papers. Illford curls like the dickens. If you screen dry, a heat press is needed to flatten them out well enough to pass muster, even then, they will tend to curl up if left to their own devices.

I like Oriental and Kentmere papers. they don't curl as bad as Illford. Bergger is an other good paper that doesn't curl as badly.

I've never tried the microwave, but it is mentioned in texts as a quick way to dry test prints and test strips when you can't stand around waiting for dry down. Quite respected printers, such as Les McLean and Tim Rudman, use a microwave routinely for FB prints.

I would imagine the wildcard is getting used to your own microwave, as obviously strength and times will vary from paper to paper.

But yeah, it's definitely a tool to use. :)

...it is mentioned in texts as a quick way to dry test prints and test strips... Quite respected printers...use a microwave routinely for FB prints.

Hmmm... well... not having done any research, I suppose I have to reluctantly accept this. I having a LOT or trouble reasoning what good comes from making your wet prints into really hot wet prints, or how this promotes a glossy finish. I can't imagine how this can be good for the emulsion. Live and learn, I guess.

Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back