dsc-v1 is taking blurry pictures, how to clean the lense

sleepyzze110

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have a sony dsc-v1 digi cam, had it for 2 months

everytime i take a picture, regardless of tripod or not, on the auto setting, the pictures seem to be blurry everywhere, i have not dropped the camera or changed any other settings, i never opened it up, the only time i touched the lense once was when i wiped it with my eye glass cleaner cloth (not the silk ones)

i was thinking this has something to do with the lense itself, what is the best way to clean the lense from the outside

Is this something that just started happening or had it happened since new? If you look at the lense, do you see any marks or dirt? I'm assuming the result is the same when taking pictures in bright daylight as it is in dimmer lighting situations?

They specifically make lense cleaning kits, but kits for cleaning eyeglasses should give you the same kind of results. Obviously the goal is to ensure there is no damage to the lense itself. I'm just curious if you can actually see something on/in the lense that may be the problem or if there may be some other issue.

Do you have any examples you can post for us to take a look at?

Look at the lens first. Only clean it if you can see smears or marks on it. If it doesn't look dirty, leave it alone.
If the lens looks clean the blurriness has another cause.
If it needs cleaning then only do it with proper lens tissue.

here are some sample pics,

the camera never moved in all the pics, and optical zoom was the only thing that changed

the camera is on SAF focus setting, i resetted the camera and changed nothing else

cad0c3b3.jpg

it was that far the whole time

9910f2ec.jpg

d0a552fd.jpg

599a6fa1.jpg

c125de32.jpg

well you can see in the first picture of no zooming, it's still not as clear as it's supposed to be, i bought this camera 10-07-2004 and i had it for a little over 2 months, and i paid 389 for it at the time, and im' expecting a 400 dollar camera to last longer than 2 months, sony said they can repair it for me if i ship it down to san diego to them and all i have to pay is the shipping fee, since my camera is still covered under the warrenty when i bought it from www.dell.com

well in the first picture, the word on the monitor is in sharp focus... pretty much everything in the background is clear. make sure you're focusing on the box... use macro or manual focus

well here are some more sample pics, btw, all my pics are taken at 5.0mp and scaled down to 800x600 with adobe photoshop 7.0

all the pics are auto focus except the last one, which was manual focus

9a72e4a2.jpg

50de4da9.jpg

ced9a460.jpg

6c952f71.jpg

f74f7422.jpg

this one was taken with manual focus

a2de65dd.jpg

i contacted sony's repair center about this, and they said i can ship my camera to their repair center and they'll fix whatever that is wrong with it for free, they'll even ship it back for free, and all i need to pay is the shipping to them

do you think i should send it down? cause it seems like it's not taking pictures as clear as it should

in my opinion u are really close to the subject, too close, and i cant see the second set of pics u posted (all i see are red x's)

but ive had the same problem, just try the same picture with the red box but this time put it in macro mode and try it bc i think ur too close

sry if this doesnt help

andreag5 said:
in my opinion u are really close to the subject, too close, and i cant see the second set of pics u posted (all i see are red x's)

but ive had the same problem, just try the same picture with the red box but this time put it in macro mode and try it bc i think ur too close

sry if this doesnt help

i agree, i don't think it's anything wrong with the camera itself.

maybe this picture will help

taken at 12 inches away
macro mode
auto settings
no flash

1298def2.jpg

34e926eb.jpg

i'm sure this camera SHOULD be better than this..

i would just suggest using some different modes without moving the camera and definately zoom out just a little bit, i think its trying to zoom in and focus on something, but cant figure out what to focus on, since its in auto focus mode. i have had this problem and just tried different modes and gotten pictures to turn out okay. i really dont think its a problem with your camera, i think you just need to give the camera more to focus on. but, i dont know, im probably as new to cameras as yourself, i just know how sending stuff back works, and its gonna b a big pain in the butt where ur gonna waste time and money and theyre gonna send it back and say "we dont find anything wrong with your product. we have ran standard tests on your camera and everything is fine." or they'll lie and make up some big words and give you a run around on the phone for hours on end. i work with computers and send stuff back alot, and this is the general response.. :/ but im sure that whatever it is, ull get it figured out eventually :) good luck

hmm im no expert but that looks like your in macro mode and zoomed all the way in, perhaps still too close

instead of all my macro business, try to go outside and take a picture of something like a house (big so the camera knows what to focus on) in auto and zoomed all the way out and then u hsould get a good picture bc i still think you are too close (i have the same problem :oops: but dont get frustrated and good luck hope this helps :D )

here is one that i took

IMG_2105.jpg

this should be in macro with the same distance
its just like the second picture that you posted, see how the background is in focus but not the subject (too close)
hope this helps

Most reactions

Back