DSLR bodies

aequilibrium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! There is very few I know related to DSLR bodies so here is a question I have:
- Are there any important differences between the various bodies besides size and weight, menus, shooting modes, pop-up flashes, viewfinder and sensors?
- Are all bodies compatible with all lenses or are there certain lenses that can only be used/would have a better performance with certain bodies?

Your question requires a long answer, but to keep it short, I will offer this:

Fundamentally, they all work pretty much the same way, with mostly minor differences as one considers the price point. The higher cost camera bodies have some refinements and increased capabilities, so in considering your purchase, you should decide on how much you are willing to spend.

An entry-level camera is where most beginners will start, along with the entry-level lens that is usually included. If your budget will accommodate an "enthusiast-level" camera, they will probably include a somewhat better lens.

The Canon brand does have some differences in the lens mount, so Canon lenses may not mount on any Canon body. Check the exact specifications before purchase.

Nikon cameras will mount any Nikon "F" mount lens, however some of the older lenses may not auto focus, particularly on an entry-level body.

One thing not intuitively obvious is that more expensive full frame pro type cameras are physically tougher. They are built to take more use and abuse. I've got a Nikon "F" from the sixties that was a pro camera in it's day and it still works very well.
Features are listed and mostly do the same things with different names sometimes in different brands.

- Are there any important differences between the various bodies besides size and weight, menus, shooting modes, pop-up flashes, viewfinder and sensors?
Could you answer this question for cars ?

As a simple example, I sometimes need HSS - high speed sync, the ability to use flash even if the shutter speed is above the flash sync speed. So a camera having this feature or not is kind of a big drawback for me. I'll probably not be interested in such a camera.

But I was recently hugely surprised because apparently many Nikon D750 have an issue with HSS. My own fortunaterly doesnt, I would have noticed that. But I never saw any threads about these issue in any forum either. So apparently HSS isnt as important to many people as it is to me.

Or another big issue is viewfinder quality. Especially if you want to use manual lenses, having a good viewfinder is an important thing.

So quite frankly I have no idea what your actual question is. Obviously the [digital] camera holds the [digital] sensor. Thats the most important part of any camera, no matter what type. Without such a recording area, no picture can be taken.

Then theres a LOT of stuff around this sensor with a myriad of factors. The things you mentioned are just examples of what could be considered.

The next most important thing after the sensor would probably be the lens mount, because without a lens, a camera wont actually be able to see an image anyway. After that, a shutter release would be kind of important, and a digital recording device, usually a memory card. After that, the basics such as focus, aperture, shutter speed, an a viewfinder - which kind, how good, etc.

But theres a lot more, like the stuff you mentioned, but also for example ergonomics, balancing, lens mount, flash mount, memory card types and number of slots, battery life, extra tools such as battery grips, etc etc etc. So again, whats the question ? Its all over the place.

Again, can you list all the possible factors that are important in a car ? And a camera is probably only even more complex than that. For example, an average DSLR from Canon or Nikon has over hundred configuration options you can configure. And if you take a DSLR apart, it will be many hundreds if not over a thousand of parts that work together.

In the sum: yes, theres more possible factors. Which are important to you, that depends upon your personal preferences.

- Are all bodies compatible with all lenses or are there certain lenses that can only be used/would have a better performance with certain bodies?
Well - a lens must match to the lens mount of the camera, otherwise it wont fit. Theres some wiggle room here - some lenses can be converted, and especially Canon EOS DSLRs, with a lens mount thats very short and a lot wider than anyone else, allows adapter useage to convert a lot of lenses to it - but overall most lenses used on a DSLR will be native to that lens mount. Especially since converted and adapted lenses lose all features such as automatic aperture or autofocus.

Otherwise: a lens is a lens is a lens. A lens collects light. Thats all it does in the end. Thus a lens couldnt care less what the sensor is that records the lens light. The sensor can change ZIP about the lens. Naturally the sensors will be different in their properties, but the lens is just a collection of glas that puts an image on the sensor plane, where hopefully the sensor resides. Thats all a lens ever does.

Be aware that most/many dSLR's come with different sensor sizes, usually APS-C (cropped sensor) and FF (Full 35mm Frame). The APS-C is smaller and needs "less lens" to project an image across the sensor. For the same focal length a FF sensor requires a larger lens. Many manufactures make a slightly different lens mount for an APS-C body than for a FF body. This results in an APS-C designed lens is only compatible with an APS-C body but a FF lens can be used on either a FF or an APS-C body.

Generally, without an adaptor, Nikon lenses will only work on Nikon cameras, Canon lenses will only work on Canon bodies, Pentax lenses will only work on Pentax bodies, et cetera.

To combine and complicate the matter, as an example, a Canon APS-C design lens will fit a Canon APS-C camera but not a FF Canon camera. A Canon FF designed lens will work on a FF camera and an APS-C camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back