DSLR CURIOSITY!!!!!!!!!

Tibi_N

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there!!!
I just got myself the eos 350d!!! Before, I used to shoot with an eos 5000n!
One thing troubles me: why didn't they think of a way to allow you to check the exposure on the LCD (in the manual mode) like the G3,5,6 or Dimage A1 and A2 !(to see the image on the lcd while you're shooting, and see how aperture or shutter changes affect the image)!
I agree, we're talking about SLR, but nobody is crazy enough to frame the image on the lcd, that's why you bought an slr:to use the viewfinder! But ;) , I mean these DSLR thingys cost a lot of money, they could have added this feature ,which,i think ,is really usefull, especially in low light conditions!
Any opinions???

The actual function of an SLR prohibits viewing the image on the lcd while taking a picture... the mirror is stopping the image from hitting the sensor before you actually release the shutter. I don't know, maybe they could make it happen through a mirror lock-up mode. I couldn't see myself ever using it though; after switching to SLR, I can't stand using an LCD for composition.

Not for composition , of course, but for guiding!!! It is useful !!!
???

both aoide and sloshooter are right. you see everything you would see in an lcd in the viewfinder, probably more. the actual settings you can see on the info screen (on the 350d i think it's above the LCD). if you had the LCD on constantly, especially for an SLR, your batteries would die really fast.

You know you can always just take a bunch of pictures at different exposures and see which one works best by looking at them on the LCD after you take them. That's the great thing about digital; you don't waste any media by taking a picture because you can always delete it if it's bad.

AAHHHH! I'm deaf!!!!!!!!! :lmao: JK

Yes, that really would drain the crap out of your batteries. The LCD exposure preview option on some of the digi point-and-shoots are usually terribly inaccurate, and I really can't stand them. After shooting a while and paying attention to exposure on you XT you should get the hang of it. It's MUCH more precise than the preview you'd see in the LCD.

AHHHH LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!! :D

sorry, i watched anchor man last night, couldnt resist!

another thing is, that lcd is pretty small, theres plenty of detail you will probably not see on there, that you would like to, id say its probably better just to try multiple exposures to be safe

Tibi_N said:
Hello there!!!
I just got myself the eos 350d!!! Before, I used to shoot with an eos 5000n!
One thing troubles me: why didn't they think of a way to allow you to check the exposure on the LCD (in the manual mode)

Set it to show you the image and histogram after your shot if you want to check your exposure.

I can't think of a better way to see my image, than with my own eye through the lens.

i think the Fuji S3 allows you to hold down the mirror for 30 seconds.

the 2 main problems that come with this is as previously mentioned battery life but dust is an absolute killer for DSLRs as the sensors are really sensitive. the longer u have the mirror down/shutter open the more chance there is for dust.

personally i wouldn't like to frame a shot with a DSLR using the screen. on compact cameras i use the screen because the view finder is usually in accurate and a different crop

You guys are RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I was just used with the Dimage A1
Thanks a lot!!!
Anyway, are battery grips really that useful?

yeah... battery grips ARE useful... especially when you take your camera for a trip witha tent for example. Very often you don't have a chance to charge batteries for a week or so... of course if you don't do such a trips or you take a camera ocasionaly to shoot (I'm sure you don't) then you don't need a grip.

Your histogram will tell you way more about your picture than looking at an LCD. Judging your picture by the LCD can be a very bad habit and will leave a person with some unpleaseant surprises. The best solution is to learn how to meter through the lense (I use the spot meter option) and try to shoot in manual mode for the best exposures. Bracket your pictures for low light and critical dof..

Most reactions

Back