DSLR for a 15-year-old?

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?
Someone has to make money, whether it be a local shop, Adorama, B&H, etc.

The staff at my local Calumet shop are paid an hourly wage. But I dont see why that matters.

Being a smart consumer is my top priority. :thumbup:

It matters because when they're working on commission they will come up with anything to say in order to get you to buy the camera or w.e. it is they're selling. Yes a smart consumer is also very important.

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?
Yeah, that or they have a monthly quota. I prefer to get first hand opinions from fellow PHOTOGRAPHERS not salespeople who rarely know about the product they're selling.

Yeah but come on, you are asking fellow photographers what entry level camera will suit a 15yr old girl who we know little to nothing about. Then you state directly, Canon, automatically causing the Nikon guys to question your initial post or dismiss it.
If she got a Canon Rebel XS, XSi, or T1i, she would be perfectly fine. The same with D40, D60, D3000.

Well that could be a problem for the unaware, unprepared consumer. My local shop has about 5 guys on average behind the counter, a couple in rental, and a couple in print. They seem to spend quite a bit of time grabbing equipment out of the display cases to hand to customers, but I could see where a sales person who is partial to a certain brand, or running high in stock on a brand, pushing that harder.

But truthfully, quite a few people are naturally brand loyalists, I know I recommend Nikon more often then not personally.

The staff at my local Calumet shop are paid an hourly wage. But I dont see why that matters.

Sure. So take your time and prevent the sales clerk from speaking to a real customer that just might make a purchase. Smart consumer? Hell, you're an ass.

It matters because when they're working on commission they will come up with anything to say in order to get you to buy the camera or w.e. it is they're selling. Yes a smart consumer is also very important.

So therefore it's your duty to prevent the sales clerk from speaking to real customers that just might make a purchase? You're another ass.

Yeah, that or they have a monthly quota. I prefer to get first hand opinions from fellow PHOTOGRAPHERS not salespeople who rarely know about the product they're selling.

Yet you completely ignored the opinions offered by fellow PHOTOGRAPHERS in this thread. Good play, Shakespeare.

No way man, they had been sitting there with no customers for 3 hours and twenty two minutes. After I left the store, they again sat there for approx 4 hours and nine minutes before another customer walked in, but he knew what he wanted and purchased a UV filter without speaking to them.....

Dont be a dumb consumer, our country has had enough of those recently.

(Oh and I purchased my Camera at the military exchange in person, after a week of coming in to look at it ;)).

No way man, they had been sitting there with no customers for 3 hours and twenty two minutes. After I left the store, they again sat there for approx 4 hours and nine minutes before another customer walked in, but he knew what he wanted and purchased a UV filter without speaking to them.....

(Oh and I purchased my Camera at the military exchange in person, after a week of coming in to look at it ;)).

You're telling me that you spent 7-1/2 hours watching camera store sales clerks? Do you have a life?

You're telling me that you spent 7-1/2 hours watching camera store sales clerks? Do you have a life?
Well, you decided you would make up the fact that there were other customers in the store at the time, that I was supposedly keeping from possibly making purchases; so I made up my own little story.
That went right over your head.................

So therefore it's your duty to prevent the sales clerk from speaking to real customers that just might make a purchase? You're another ass.

And you're coming into this thread and not helping one person at all just speaking from your small mind and then have the audacity to call people that are contributing to this thread an ass. Good job give yourself a pat on the back for being a douche!

And you're coming into this thread and not helping one person at all just speaking from your small mind and then have the audacity to call people that are contributing to this thread an ass. Good job give yourself a pat on the back for being a douche!

Well, it's clear where you stand.

Is there any reason why you're so dead set on wanting to get Canon? Not saying they're not good but nikon has plenty of cameras that are much more affordable and well suited if you're using that price range. And if she becomes disinterested then at least they have camera and she can play with that.
tj
He mentioned he preferred Canon. I didn't get a chance to ask why since another person was walking into the bank that needed his attention.

And no, not all local sales people are commissioned or work on quotas. Some actually care about building a relationship with the customer and earning return business.

Yes this may be true in some cases but most of the time it's a sales person who generally knows nothing about the cameras doesn't care to and just wants to make a sale. Even in the photo stores around here in South Florida they are unfriendly and could care less about a relationship of any type. Hopefully that's just down here but I have trouble believing it.
That is the way it is here in Columbus, Georgia. We have Wolf Camera and Best Buy, so my choices are limited.

I was a manager about ten years ago at a Ritz Camera (which owns Wolf) in Massachusetts, and there is no requirement for sales associates to have any knowledge about cameras. Monthly goals were set based on the previous year's sales and certain products rewarded you with "incentives". So my salespeople sold based on making their goal and getting those incentives.

At Best Buy last year, I was looking at lenses and the sales guy asked for my body. I watched as he tried to put the wrong lens on it.

So it's the internet for me.

I'd recommend the XSi over the XS. It'll take longer to "outgrow" and really isn't much more. Adorama has a nice kit with a refurbished XSi and 18-55mm lens for $530.

2757B006AA Canon Digital Rebel XSi SLR Camera Body Kit - Silver - with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens - Refurbished

And no, not all local sales people are commissioned or work on quotas. Some actually care about building a relationship with the customer and earning return business.
That sounds great. Thanks so much!

I personally don't see the point in spending more if she's just going to:

A) love photography and want to upgrade, or

B) become disinterested and stick it in a box in a closet somewhere.

I found this kit, and think it'd work for a young beginner. Opinions?

You do have some good points, and that would be a good place to start, especially if they want to buy new rather than used.

Most reactions

Back