DSLR for a 15-year-old?

Maybe have him take her down to a local photography shop so she can see whats fits her best and what she seems to prefer, then when shes learned about what she likes, he can be a cheap VP of a bank and shop for that model used online.
Any entry level DSLR from Nikon, Canon, or other similar brand, is going to suit her needs just fine.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?

Was going to say the same thing in a post when saw you responded in yours as followup. Don't waste a salesperson's time, just so you can feel good about which is the right camera to buy on a reseller market.
You're a tool.

Do you realize that the local sales clerks work on commission? Do you enjoy getting screwed like that?

Was going to say the same thing in a post when saw you responded in yours as followup. Don't waste a salesperson's time, just so you can feel good about which is the right camera to buy on a reseller market.
You're a tool.

But you're an ass. By the way, in response to the post that you deleted, no one is going to stop you. It's your constitutional right to be a complete and total ass.

You're a tool.

But you're an ass. By the way, in response to the post that you deleted, no one is going to stop you. It's your constitutional right to be a complete and total ass.
I only deleted because I wouldn't want the moderators to get the wrong idea.:mrgreen:

It's a deal though, he'll be a tool, I'll be an ass, and you can be the *****.:thumbup:

It annoys me to no end that people think they can buy a DSLR and *voila* they're a professional photographer.

I think only the seriously talented, seriously deluded and perhaps you think that. The great majority of folks pretty much know this not to be true.

This might make me a snob, but if you can't use a film camera, you get no respect from me.

That's not snobbish. It is beyond silly though. I've only ever touched a film camera when I was a kid; I learned everything on a dSLR. My understanding of the principles of photography that the old school shooters have is no different than theirs. The only difference is I've not wasted hundreds of reels of film on "learning". There are a number of modern shooters (working professionally by the way) who perhaps also have never shot with a film camera. Because someone learns how to load film and set shutter speed by rotating a dial on a film camera, isn't going to make them any better of a shooter.

But hey different strokes from different folks.

But you're an ass.

But you're still being a tool; and - quite naturally - abit of an ass. And the only thing worse than an "egotistical rant", is attempting to mock said rant in a signature of all places (we get it, that's where they put theirs; how on the nose of you).

You're a tool.

I only deleted because I wouldn't want the moderators to get the wrong idea.:mrgreen:

It's a deal though, he'll be a tool, I'll be an ass, and you can be the *****.:thumbup:

The opinion of an ass carries no weight. Would you feel good if someone screwed you out of your income? Naah, you probably don't know the definition of "employment."

"Remember that time when the words on the screen got mad at the other words on the screen?"

The opinion of an ass carries no weight. Would you feel good if someone screwed you out of your income? Naah, you probably don't know the definition of "employment."
You make me E* happy ;)

It annoys me to no end that people think they can buy a DSLR and *voila* they're a professional photographer.
I think only the seriously talented, seriously deluded and perhaps you think that. The great majority of folks pretty much know this not to be true.
Actually I went to uni for art concentrating on photography because I'd been shooting since I was a kid. And we didn't have the convenience of being able to see our images immediately so we can adjust our settings. You had to get it right the first time.

There's a difference between snapshots and photography, and many people don't realise that, nor do they accept that it's not just the camera, it's the photographer that makes a good photograph. They buy a nice camera and lens and suddenly they own "[Insert Name Here] Photography" offering their "services" for free or damn near it.

Thank you for your opinion.

Actually I went to uni for art concentrating on photography because I'd been shooting since I was a kid. And we didn't have the convenience of being able to see our images immediately so we can adjust our settings. You had to get it right the first time.

And I went to school for Applied Math, and our professors didn't have the luxury of Maple or TI-83's to solve variable defined 5X5 matrices - that doesn't mean they consider any of their students any less compotenet.

There's a difference between snapshots and photography, and many people don't realise that, nor do they accept that it's not just the camera, it's the photographer that makes a good photograph. They buy a nice camera and lens and suddenly they own "[Insert Name Here] Photography" offering their "services" for free or damn near it.

That's an entirely different rant than "You should use a film camera before you're considered a photographer". And it seems we're using "film cameras" as a substitute for manual shooting; which you surely know is not the case.

Young minds change.. loose interest and develop new interests quickly.. they are often clueless and it is absolutely normal. I wouldn't hand over the keys to a brand new car and it would be no different for a camera. The basic functions required to develop an interest in photography existed since the beginning of the digital SLR time.... there are tons of choices out there on the used market. Just be smart about it.

I would guess any 6-8 mpix Canon DSLR with a decent lens would suffice.

You make me E* happy ;)

Apparently my conclusion is correct. You don't have a job.

I think it would be a huge mistake to buy a camera with trying it on for size first. Get this Canon, that Nikon, bla bla bla..if the shoe does not fit she is going to hate wearing it. Comfort is very important and everyone has different hands and fingers. All DSLR cameras today are very good. most people are brand loyal so of course they are going to tell you to go out and buy what they have because they like it. The dad says to the daughter, happy Bday, Im going to buy you a camera, lets go shopping. You tag along and offer advice, break down the jargon and say this and that is important in a camera. She finds one that feels nice, it is easy to use and within the budget, and daddy warbucks pays up and everyone is happy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back