dSLR Newbie requests advice on buying a new camera

Ozzmosis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.adventuresofcoryandsherry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! This is my first post, and I'm requesting advice on what Camera to buy. I currently have a Canon Powershot A80 using a circular polarizer, and I have captures some nice photos, but I have been finding that I need something better for the types of photos that I want to take.

I have read reviews on the Canon 30D and have wanted one for a while, now the 40D is out, and I want that, but I wouldn't be able to afford some decent lenses.

I was then thinking that I could buy a lesser body, and spend more on the lenses. Therefore I was looking at the Canon XTi and the Nikon D40x.

I would like to stick with the Canon's due to the fact that I have about 5 CF cards collected for the A80, and would be rendered nearly useless if I bought a Nikon. (I should buy a larger card anyway for the increased size of the pictures of the dSLR)

I would like to keep in the price range of the XTi/D40x body, but if I would also like to be somewhat future-proof since I'm into the $1000 range anyway...

I will be buying the camera on Boxing Day to get some good deals. I now just need to decide which one to get. I prefer the XTi for the features, but I hear the size and feel are lacking. I like the D40x for the help features, but it lacks a few features of the XTi. I would like the 30D/40D but the price is much higher unless I can score an incredible deal on Boxing Day.

Requesting advise and suggestions. I will decide on the body only right now, and concentrate on the lens later.

If everyone wants to know what I'll be photographing, it will consist of portraits, motorsports/racing, nature/landscape etc. Landscape photos look great on the A80 since it doesn't require much stabilization, but the portrait and motion department is very poor unless I can use a tripod and use the 2 second timer, and hope I time everything well.

Thanks! and sorry for the super long post.
Cory.

I do believe your CF card can be used in a Nikon, as long as you format them before you use them.

I do believe your CF card can be used in a Nikon, as long as you format them before you use them.

Yes, you can, but he's referencing to the fact that consumer/prosumer-level Nikons are SD.

At the end of the day, the price of a few memory cards (2GB can be had for $20, even less) is not what you should make your decision on. Try out the different models in a store, see what you like. If you can, try and get a Nikon D50 instead of the D40/x. If you get a D40/x you lose a great deal of ability because you cannot use many great, cheaper AF lenses.

The Canon XT and Xti has the advantage over the D40 of being compatible with all the canon lenses. While the D40 cannot autofocus with all Nikon lenses. Both good choices though, feel them out in store before you buy. And plan for future lens choices.

Get yourself that 30D! I got one a couple of weeks ago when the price was sweet. I'm at a horseshow right now and threw the card in the Nikon D1x (which I often did on my 300D) and took some pics on the backdrop with some friends and (just like always) everything's cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back