DSLR or Megazoom?

skoka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own an Olympus Stylus 720 SW - it's shock and waterproof so it's a great camera to travel with and for everyday use. I am looking into picking up another camera that will produce better quality photos with some options for creativity. I should preface this by saying that I am a pure amateur photographer with zero SLR/DSLR experience. I have somewhat narrowed my search down to the Canon EOS Rebel XT and the Canon Powershot S5is. I'm looking for the camera to satisfy the following needs:

- good picture quality
- consistent picture results
- features that will help improve my photos
- something that I can grow with as I get into this hobby
- budget: $500 USD/CAD

I understand that the two cameras I've narrowed my search down to are not really comparable (DSLR vs. Megazoom) so I am hoping you can provide some advice on which type of camera would be better suited to me. I am completely open to suggestion (other brands, models, etc.). If there is anything else you need to know to better answer my question just ask. I appreciate your responses.

I owned a S5IS for 6 months, it's a good little camera, the range of zoom is quite good. The tilt/swivel lcd screen is handy. The viewfinder is actually looking at a smaller lcd screen and is quite low resolution. I found I was using the viewfinder more than the main LCD screen. This camera does give you good results if you don't go over ISO 100 or 200, but it can't grow with you like a DSLR can. It only makes JPG files and I started to realize the benefits of RAW files.
So after doing a lot of reading and figuring I decided on a compact DSLR. I considered the Canon XTI or the Nikon D60 until I heard of the soon-to-be-released XSI, I held on until it was out. I am one happy camper!!
If you can swing it, get a XTI body (or XSI) over the XT and get the IS version of the 18-55mm kit lens.
...Terry

Really is you like photography, and you want to your gear to grow with you, go for the XT. It's a steal right now for $449, at B&H(link at the top right). Its a great camera to start with, and much easier to be creative with an SLR than a P&S, IMO. The 18-55 kit lens will get you going, and for $90 you can grab a 50mm f/1.8, which is great for portraits, low light and all around the best bang-for-your-buck prime lens.

If you really want to grow go for an SLR because, if you find a limitation, there are always new tools that you can add to your kit.

Ryan

P.S. sorry If I sound like an XT fanboy recently, I don't even own one, but it's just a great deal! Get 'em now before there gone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back