DSLR Recommendations

pasteofanchovie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am wanting to buy a DSLR but I am not sure which one to get. It seems like the Nikon D40 is popular for beginners but I already have some old MF Minolta lenses and I heard that Sony DSLRs can use them. I'm not the biggest fan of Sony products, but if it will help save money on lenses then I'll get one anyway. What do you guys recommend?

I recommend going to a camera store, explaing to the salesman what you want, what sort of photography you do, and what your budget is. Then, pick up and try the different cameras, go home, read online reviews for the different models, and make a decision based on that.

I'm not a Sony person, but a lot of people swear by the Alpha series, and Minolta lenses can be very good; the D40 on the other hand is an excellent beginner camera.

I recommend going into a store and playing with some different models first hand.

If your lenses are compatible with the Minolta mount on the Sony cameras, then that should give some weight to the Sony option. Their cameras are said to be pretty good.

i might be selling an a300..

I love my A200. If you have Minolta glass, I would strongly consider the Sony Alpha series. But, if you decide to go with something else, shoot me a PM with some prices on the Minoltas. lol

Go
Nikon D80
Canon Rebel XSi
Canon Rebel XS
Take your pick :p

I dont recommend anything below a D80, same with XSi, thats just my personal opinion. :) Stick with Nikon or Canon

I'm a noob when it came to SLR's I just bought my first one. After reading a ton of reviews and peoples personal experiences.. I went with the Canon XSI.. Great camera for the buy. I read that the Nikon D40 & D60 don't have autofocus built into the camera.. they are built into certain lenses.. so if you end up with one of those models and don't want to shoot in manual all the time.. make sure the lenses have the motor in them to focus for you.

Most reactions

Back