DSLR Verses Iphone

TipTop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been a user of a DSLR for a number of years and love my current D7000. However over the last couple of months I have had many times when I have not had my DSLR with me and so found myself using my Iphone. What I have discovered is that yes for sure the iphone can be used as a regular point and shoot for snapshots but with a bit of practice just like the DSLR you can very much go beyond the basics and push the cameras capabilities with very pleasing results.

So today I decided to experiment with taking the same shots with both the D7000 and Iphone and here are the results.

These were taken with my Nikon D7000 with 105 macro lens at f16

$DSC_0009.jpg$DSC_9966.jpg$DSC_9978.jpg$DSC_9983.jpg

These were taken with my Iphone 5s and the macro olloclip

$20140615_140007000_iOS.jpg$20140615_140113000_iOS.jpg$20140615_141459000_iOS.jpg$20140617_111346000_iOS.jpg

Please share any views you have

Attachments

• $DSC_9966.jpg
    $DSC_9966.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
I don't shoot flowers, so ignore my ignorance hahaha.

Why would you shoot on the Nikon at F16???? And not say, 2.8 or whatever.

I don't shoot flowers, so ignore my ignorance hahaha. Why would you shoot on the Nikon at F16???? And not say, 2.8 or whatever.

The reason for shooting at f16 when doing macro work is because of the shallow depth of field ie to shoot at f2.8 you would hardly see anything in focus as the lens is very close to the subject. Hope that makes sense.

Trying to expand my creativity by only using my Iphone, very surprised with the results so far.

I don't shoot flowers, so ignore my ignorance hahaha. Why would you shoot on the Nikon at F16???? And not say, 2.8 or whatever.

The reason for shooting at f16 when doing macro work is because of the shallow depth of field ie to shoot at f2.8 you would hardly see anything in focus as the lens is very close to the subject. Hope that makes sense.

Trying to expand my creativity by only using my Iphone, very surprised with the results so far.

I'm only asking because compared to the iPhone, which has a much lower DOF, and in my opinion looks better.

So I think your Nikon shots would benefit of a larger aperture, maybe f8? Instead of 16?

Just my thoughts though.

I'm only asking because compared to the iPhone, which has a much lower DOF, and in my opinion looks better. So I think your Nikon shots would benefit of a larger aperture, maybe f8? Instead of 16? Just my thoughts though.

Interesting thought. This is what i like about photography, many different ways to take a shot.

Yes, possibly a larger aperture on the Nikon would help.

However, these shots are a bit unfair.
For example, take the white flower with the yellow center. The light on the iPhone shot is infinitely more interesting than the Nikon shot, the Nikon shot has extremely flat lighting.
The Nikon shot is a lot sharper than the iPhone shot so I believe that with the same lighting the Nikon shot will be better. A quality comparison can only really be done when both pictures are made in the exact same circumstances.

Yes, possibly a larger aperture on the Nikon would help. However, these shots are a bit unfair. For example, take the white flower with the yellow center. The light on the iPhone shot is infinitely more interesting than the Nikon shot, the Nikon shot has extremely flat lighting. The Nikon shot is a lot sharper than the iPhone shot so I believe that with the same lighting the Nikon shot will be better. A quality comparison can only really be done when both pictures are made in the exact same circumstances.

Not sure why the light looks different as I controlled this by taking the shots inside and had the same two continuous lights on the flowers for both DSLR and Iphone shots

Only difference DSLR SHOTS were raw and edited in Lightroom, Iphone shots edited in snapseed. Both adjusted saturation, contrast and sharpen.

Trying to expand my creativity by only using my Iphone. Very surprised with the results so far.

These were taken with my Iphone 5s and the macro olloclip

what's an olloclip ?

An Olloclip is an additional lens that fits over the top of the phone camera lens. I'm new here and not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the Olloclip

Trying to expand my creativity by only using my Iphone. Very surprised with the results so far.

When you have a controlled light source that allows cameras take a shot at low iso a lot of cameras will do a job similar to each other. The small sensor size of an iPhone may actually benefit one because the aperture required to get a similar dof can help increase speed etc due it being larger than required with say a full frame dslr.

On the flip side if you require a very shallow dof it is very difficult to get on such a small sensor.

If light levels are low the bigger sensor obviously is then s better option, but there is no doubt iPhone and similar phones are very good now and have a big place in photogaraphy for many, Flickr reporting iPhones as the biggest model relative to pictures uploaded.

When you have a controlled light source that allows cameras take a shot at low iso a lot of cameras will do a job similar to each other. The small sensor size of an iPhone may actually benefit one because the aperture required to get a similar dof can help increase speed etc due it being larger than required with say a full frame dslr. On the flip side if you require a very shallow dof it is very difficult to get on such a small sensor. If light levels are low the bigger sensor obviously is then s better option, but there is no doubt iPhone and similar phones are very good now and have a big place in photogaraphy for many, Flickr reporting iPhones as the biggest model relative to pictures uploaded.

Many thank for his info, all relevant

When you have a controlled light source.....

Many thank for his info, all relevant

I'm curious as to why? Why not try to better yourself with your DSLR and improve that? The limit is endless. Your phone however, your extremely limited.

I'm curious as to why? Why not try to better yourself with your DSLR and improve that? The limit is endless. Your phone however, your extremely limited.

Sorry I wasn't trying to better the shots just trying to show how I have used the DSLR and Iphone. I fully understand depth of field and how to control light, I chose the depth of field I liked with the DSLR.

If lighting was the same for the shots I'm confused why the iphone shots appear to have much more directional lighting whilst the DSLR ones have a much more even flat lighting - you can see that very clearly in the yellow centre of the white petal shot. DSLR has some very nice, flat lighting whilst the iphone is much more directional.

The only thing I can think that partly affected it are:

1) The iphone has an flash light it also applies to the shot (default left on so when you took the shot you added light from the phone

2) The DSLR is a lot bigger and shadowed the lighting more so - although considering how even and flat the lighting is I'm not thinking this was a cause (its just too even to be a shadowing effect unless the light was right behind the camera).

If lighting was the same for the shots I'm confused why the iphone shots appear to have much more directional lighting whilst the DSLR ones have a much more even flat lighting - you can see that very clearly in the yellow centre of the white petal shot. DSLR has some very nice, flat lighting whilst the iphone is much more directional. The only thing I can think that partly affected it are: 1) The iphone has an flash light it also applies to the shot (default left on so when you took the shot you added light from the phone 2) The DSLR is a lot bigger and shadowed the lighting more so - although considering how even and flat the lighting is I'm not thinking this was a cause (its just too even to be a shadowing effect unless the light was right behind the camera).

Sorry really can't answer it as the phone flash was off, the lights were however set behind the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back