DSLR VS. Kodak z710

Phototaker25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. I'm fairly new to photography. I was hooked on it sort of by accident..lol. I have a question... I read all of the things about a DSLR, and I'd love to get one. But, I have a Kodak z710. it really seems to take some nice pictures! I think it might one step up from a point and shoot. All of the "f" values are adjustable, ISO values, etc. The lens that comes with the camera has a focal lenth of 38-380mm.

http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10002&pq-locale=en_US

I'd like some opinions on this...I enjoy this camera, it's comfortable. But, would a DSLR give me more expandability?

A dslr will give you more options as far as switching lenses and have a greater range of adjustability for iso,shutter speed,aperture.I had a similar canon superzoom and it was nice but I found I outgrew it rather quickly.
If you are happy with your z710 than no need to switch to dslr,but if you find yourself reaching the limitations of your camera than it might be time to move up to a dslr.
the creative options with dslr photography are only limited by you and more so your budget.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I have the same camera too, can you use it manually? Do know how things like f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO affect an image?? If the answer is yes then I think you can expand more on DSLR. However, if you still hadn't competence in using this camera manually, I wouldn't go into the DSLR market yet, it's a good camera and you can definitely learn more on it.

Btw, how long have you have the camera for and how many pictures have you taken on it? just curious.

That is one reason I bought a DSLR. You buy a point and shot, and that's what you get. you buy a DSLR and there's flash upgrades, lenses, body grips, (later the body could be uprgaded but your lenses woul dbe the same).

With P & S you get what you start with till the end.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I have the same camera too, can you use it manually? Do know how things like f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO affect an image?? If the answer is yes then I think you can expand more on DSLR. However, if you still hadn't competence in using this camera manually, I wouldn't go into the DSLR market yet, it's a good camera and you can definitely learn more on it.

Btw, how long have you have the camera for and how many pictures have you taken on it? just curious.

I bought the camera because I waned a "good" Point and Shoot. Then the photography bug hit me! It wasn't intended to go this far, I just wanted to take snapshots of my kids..

I have taken quite a few photos with it, I have some really nice landscape shots, and I recently did portraits of my kids with a makeshift studio. Turned out nice.. I have never used the Auto settings, just the manual settings. How else would learn to use the camera if it's in auto all the time? I'm happy with it, I have been looking for a wide angle and telephoto lens for it, all I have right now are my filters. FD, UV, And PL.

How about you? How long have you had your camera? Any tips?

I bought the camera because I waned a "good" Point and Shoot. Then the photography bug hit me! It wasn't intended to go this far, I just wanted to take snapshots of my kids..

I have taken quite a few photos with it, I have some really nice landscape shots, and I recently did portraits of my kids with a makeshift studio. Turned out nice.. I have never used the Auto settings, just the manual settings. How else would learn to use the camera if it's in auto all the time? I'm happy with it, I have been looking for a wide angle and telephoto lens for it, all I have right now are my filters. FD, UV, And PL.

How about you? How long have you had your camera? Any tips?

Hey, I have the camera for about 5 months. Took around 1500 shots with it, I used the manual setting too, it's pretty fun. No particular tip beside don't drop it:lol: !

7 months and 3800 shots going to arkanasa to shot crop duster this week going to see hoe it does with moving airplanes

But, I have a Kodak z710. it really seems to take some nice pictures!

If you like it and it takes great pictures, then I see no reason (yet) to move to a dSLR. Practice your photography, learn from others, and go to the library to get some useful information. And practice practice practice.

Do you *need* a dSLR? No.

100_0205.jpg

This is one of my favorite shots. Feel free to give opinions, good or bad! Can't learn unless there is some criticism.

so ture, a freind had it enlarged and hung it in his office, i like your photo it so calming to look at

A dslr will give you more options as far as switching lenses and have a greater range of adjustability for iso,shutter speed,aperture.I had a similar canon superzoom and it was nice but I found I outgrew it rather quickly.
If you are happy with your z710 than no need to switch to dslr,but if you find yourself reaching the limitations of your camera than it might be time to move up to a dslr.
the creative options with dslr photography are only limited by you and more so your budget.

Exactly. I used a Canon S1 IS for a few years and realized that it was holding me back from a creative-standpoint. I was using my film SLRs far more than digital and spending too much money on film etc. because I wanted to have the manual capabilities. If you're considering it, I would go check some out.

Most reactions

Back