DSLR!!

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:mrgreen: ill will be getting my first DSLR soon, my parents will be paying for it. however im torn between the 400D 20D & 30D..... the 30D is a little out of my price range though...

any advice is welcome, im also looking at buying the 17-40 L anyone had any experience with it?

if it was me I'd go for the 20d or 30d
I've never been a big fan of the lightweight bodies, hense the monster I walk around with

to be honest with you Duncan I think you'd out grow the 400D far too quickly

17-40L is a stunner, used one loads of times was about to buy one a few months ago but went for the Sigma 12-24 as I wanted VERY WIIIIIIIDDDDEEEEEE shots

thanks... im going to the LCE pro canon day to try out some of the gear on the 2nd of september

well say hello to Big Tone from The Plank

who??

anyway...

if i get the 30D im looking at spending £214 on a lens

if i get the 400D im looking @ £396 on a lens...

so the 17-40 looks a little out of price range unless i save for quite while

if only i can get a £1 dontation off every active member lol :D

duncanp said:
who??

anyway...

if i get the 30D im looking at spending £214 on a lens

if i get the 400D im looking @ £396 on a lens...

so the 17-40 looks a little out of price range unless i save for quite while

if only i can get a £1 dontation off every active member lol :D

Big Tone is the manager of the pro shop and he calls me the plank

I'll PM a £

lostprophet said:
---to be honest with you Duncan I think you'd out grow the 400D far too quickly---

Why do you think he will out grow the 400D? The Spec’s are not all that different. The 400D doses have the new self-cleaning that one feature I would like to have.

ill say hi to tone...

so far this looks like what im going for:

Canon EOS 30D + £100 Cashback
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

for.... £923

Jeff Canes said:
Why do you think he will out grow the 400D? The Spec’s are not all that different. The 400D doses have the new self-cleaning that one feature I would like to have.

i fi went for the 400D i could have :

Canon EOS 400D
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF
Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM ( second hand from ffordes )

for £949

The Canon 17-40 is similar to a Sigma 20-40mm F2.8 I have it is a nice lens for shooting indoors in tight places. But sometimes it’s a little short outdoors.

As for the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. Is the DC a digital model, if so will it work with your film camera? I have two broken Sigma 28-70 f2.8 lenses nice when they worked. But 28mm was a little to long. I replaced them with one Canon 24-70 f2.8 I know that is out of your budget. But I think the 17-70mm would be a nice length both in and outdoors

Jeff Canes said:

well having seen Duncans photos and meet him at the meetup I just get the feeling he'd want something better after a few months, hell, he'd outgrow the 1DS mkII if he had one!

nothing wrong with the 400D or, and I speak from having played with every dSLR thats currently on sell in the UK, there is nothing wrong with ANY dSLR they are all good these days.

But I think Duncan will want to play and experiment and the 30D is far easier to use in Manual mode than the 400D simply because of the rear command dial.

Having worked in a camera shop since 1997 (640x480 was the dogs in those days) I have seen so many people buy an entry level camera only to come back 9months down the line wanting a better camera. I have also sold entry level cameras to people who would never want to change it, but I just feel someone with Duncans talent would outgrow the 400D. I maybe wrong but thats just my feeling :)

And as for the self cleaning sensor...... I WANT IT ON MY CAMERA AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!

lostprophet said:
-- the 30D is far easier to use in Manual mode than the 400D simply because of the rear command dial.--
I would agree with that being one of the biggest different. Also what do you think about weight different in the two models

Jeff Canes said:
I would agree with that being one of the biggest different. Also what do you think about weight different in the two models.

me? well I like big heavy camera gear ( but my back tends to disagree ) I can hold a heavy camera steadier than a light camera, as for Duncan he had a play with my 1d mkII + 70-200 2.8 at the meetup and unlike most people who pick it up he didn't say "thats too bloody heavy"

there isn't a huge difference between the two but if weight is a major factor then a light camera will be taken to more places than a heavy camera, just ask my tripod!! - really must blow the 3inches of dust of that :lol:

The 30D is an awsome peice of kit. If you have a bit of a play with it you will almost certainly want it over the 400D. It's much nicer to use than the 400D. As it's not your first SLR Duncan I'd suggest seriously thinking about it. With the £100 cash back offer at the mo it's difficult not to choose it over the 400D.

Most reactions

Back