DSLR?

cherrymoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve always been interested in [someday] getting a digital SLR camera, ever since I figured out what ‘SLR’ was. Lately, I’ve been looking at more and more outstanding photos (mostly on here) and wanting one more and more. Even though I just got my first “serious” (cough, cough) camera last Christmas, I’ve very recently been looking at SLR’s on Ebay, craiglist, and such. I’m thinking of getting one used, since most of the nicer ones are way over my budget when new. Ebay hasn’t been very helpful, but earlier today I randomly decided to look on Craiglist and found a surprisingly good deal earlier.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/285040471.html

I’m a little unsure, though. It’s in Los Gatos, CA, which is a good two hour drive from here, but that won’t be a big problem. My main reasons are that; 1) I still can’t be sure about the quality and reliability of this specific deal, and 2) that in the ways of SLRs, I’m completely hopeless.

If you look at my previous thread 'Decisions', I recently purchased a Pentax K1000 off of Ebay. It’s excellent so far, but as far as the lenses go--- I don’t even know if I’ve attached them to the camera correctly.

2001468157729372713_rs.jpg

I really, really want a DLSR now (specifically a Canon Rebel), though. If I were to get one, I’d probably have to sell my current Kodak Easyshare Z612 (much to my sadness), and possibly even sell the “new” Pentax and go with the Nikon from my grandma, if she ends up giving it to me. I need to make a decision quickly, though, before this specific Canon that I’m looking at is sold.

Oh, and here are some photos of my Kodak Easyshare (the one I’m showing isn’t specifically mine) , though I’m doubtful I’ll be able to sell it for much. L

z612.gif

Don't rush the purchase if you feel you are not ready or if you are not sure of the seller. Deals are like buses and girlfriends, another one will come shortly.

As far as mounting the lens correctly on your K1000, if you get an exposure then it's on right. BTW the K1000 is a really well made camera that has a stellar reputation Hang on to it if you can.

Go out and shoot the c--p out of that kodak, that will give you an idea of what kind of photo style you tend to and that will help you make the right equipment decisions latter on.

Have fun taking pictures, it's addictive and rewarding.

Patrice gave all good advice. Deals come and go, and you should never let a good deal push you into a rash decision. Then you'll really regret it!

I would say, before jumping onto a DSLR, you should learn fully how to use that K1000. Manual is a universal concept, film or digital, so you can already have those skills with you when you buy a DSLR. You are aware that deal you are looking at is for a film camera, yes? It seems to me you can learn all the skills you need on your K1000 without upgrading to that.

Before you even consider upgrading to a DSLR, go to the store and pick them up. I recently went to Best Buy, and picked up every DSLR they had, surprisingly a lot, and shot with it. It eliminates a few off your list just because they don't feel right. You aren't going to want to make uncomfortable hand movements every time you change a setting, right? For me, I really liked the feel of the Nikons, but it's personal taste.

My Kodak "SLR-Like" camera has manual functions, although I'm not sure yours does? If it does, you can always practice on that too, if you don't want repeated trips to the photo center.

I think you've made a good choice by starting at film and moving up to digital. I started by learning B & W film, both taking photos in manual and developing them, before I really moved into digital photography.

Eric. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back